SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By anon
Tsevan I think I tried with disconnecting the avrpg2 as I had suspected that it might be the culprit in setting reset low. But IIRC, reset was still low. I’ll try again

I have a few qns abt the header board I bought from sparkfun.(Atmega128 Header Board + AVRPG2)

1) Do u do any preprogramming of any fuses or any other thing before sending it. Or is the chip completely empty when I got it.

2) Is the chip in atmega103 compatibilty mode when I got it. If yes , please tell me what I have to do to get it to atmega128 mode. pls describe in a newbie manner to me.

3)Is the watch dog timer always on?
By anon
i have solved the prev problem : this is for the benefit of those might run into it. The default fuse setting can be read using uisp --rd_fuses

Since i was in ATMEGA103 mode i wasnt able to use uart1. also the clock timings were accndg to the default 1 mhz interenal RC and u have to Program(make = '0') the CLKOPT and make CLKSEL3-0 = (1111)Binary

so the commands assuming ure using uisp are:
# uisp -dprog=stk200 -dlpt=/dev/parport0 --wr_fuse_e=0xff
Atmel AVR ATmega128 is found.

Fuse Extended Byte set to 0xff

# uisp -dprog=stk200 -dlpt=/dev/parport0 --wr_fuse_h=0x89

Fuse High Byte set to 0x89

# uisp -dprog=stk200 -dlpt=/dev/parport0 --wr_fuse_l=0xef

Fuse Low Byte set to 0xef
By anon
the reason teh MCU wasnt executing was indeed as Tsetvan advised :
The avrpg2 holds the reset low after programming. BUT i must add that there seems to be an inconsitency .sometime the program runs for *some* time even with the avrpg2 connected. then after some time it resets the pin again. almost like a capacitive discharge.