SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By nknight62
Hello,

I am new to AVR, but have some electronics background.

I purchased subject components from Spark Fun. Connected supplied parallel port cable to my PC, that cable to the PG2B programmer, the ribbon cable from PG2B connected to my P40B-8535 board.

Then connected 5v DC power supply to P40B board (Also tried 9v supply)

I have tried AVR Studio 4.0 and 3.5, and older ISP. All I get is "Detecting...FAILED", or "No Supported Board Found".

I have ECP parallel port which works with my IOMEGA Zip drive in bi-directional mode. Running Windows 2000 OS.

Have set Frequency to 8MHz in AVR Studio. Have tried both "ISP" and "Parallel/High Voltage Serial" mode settings. (That's kind of confusing...Parallel...as in LPT Port ???)

What should I try next ?

Regards,
Nick
By nknight62
Disregard my comment about Parallel High Voltage Programming. I understand now. Just how do I get this setup communicating in ISP mode from parallel port ?
By stuart
I'm also having a problem getting AVR Studio (v4.08 SP1/build 310) to use the PG-2B programmer. Its got to be something simple, but I can't find any configuration settings for specifying the parallel port, etc.
By nknight62
What I found out is that the documentation for the OLIMEX product is incorrect. There is no freely available Parallel programmer that will work with the AVR-PG2B board from OLIMEX for the 8535 controller chip. I am using a programmer from a 3rd party. (Kind of false advertising and rude tech support)

Here is the reply I receved from olimex along with my request for info:

Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 4:04 AM
To: Just Looking
Subject: Re: AVR-P40B-8535 Question

I wrote to you several times that 8535 is supported by the Code Vision AVR
and so on compilers which can be used with AVR-PG2B
it seems you have no idea what you are trying to do and now you try to blame
somebody else but you
please don't address this to me
if you are not satisfied with the programmer you bought just return it where
you have purchased it
Thanks
Tsvetan
----- Original Message -----
To: "OLIMEX Support" <support@olimex.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:42 AM
Subject: RE: AVR-P40B-8535 Question

> Tsvetan,
>
> OK. So where do I get the software that supports the ATMEGA8535 chip,
> AVR-P40B-8535 board, and AVR-PG2B that I purchased ? The PDF manual
> indicates the ATMEL website, but I can't find one there that supports
these
> devices. You sent me an older programmer below, but it does not support
the
> ATMEGA8535 chip. So now what ?
>
> Regards,
> Nick
By nknight62
No free Parallel Programmer available for download from ATMEL site as advertised in the documentation provided by OLIMEX for the AVR-PG2B programmer to be more exact. It does not work with AVR STUDIO. You must use software from someone else like PonyProg or CodeVisionAVR(not free).
By nknight62
My strong recommendation is to use a product like the STK-500 programmer board for programming the chips, then only use a prototype card like the one from OLIMEX for deploying solutions, not for programming.
By stuart
Thanks for the information. I'd also sent an email to Sparky about the same time as I posted the question here, but haven't received a reply back yet.

I did try PonyProg before posting, but since I'm running WinXP it doesn't work.

I guess I'll take the Olimex suggestion and return the programmer to where I bought it.

Thanks for the quick response!
By sparky
Hey guys,

Time for a cop-out: :wink:

We simply don't have time to play with all the programmers! Olimex products are a basic brown box product. No manuals, no software, and greatly strained support.

We try to get back to you quickly, but it is ultimately up to the end user to figure out the programmer/hardware. If you have any idea how many emails Tsvetan and I have to deal with on a daily basis asking the same questions over and over, you may get the feeling we have of being overwhelmed. We hope the forum helps you guys out atleast a little bit.

By all means! Please contact us about a return if the product was not what you were looking for! I'd be happy to do a complete return. But we simply do not have the resources to provide step by step coverage of all our products. Sorry guys, it's a weasle answer! :lol:

-Nathan