SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By 8803
I am a newbie!! I have completed all the embeded tutorials and got the idea to replace the broken mechanical timer on my wife's dryer with a micro. What I need is a relay that I can operate with 5vdc from the micro and switch 120vac. The dryed runs for 60 minutes at a time so I will just add a push to start switch and program the delay to be 60 mins. Am I on the right track or am I making this way too simple??
Any help is appriciated.
By bigglez
8803 wrote:idea to replace the broken mechanical timer on my wife's dryer with a micro. What I need is a relay that I can operate with 5vdc from the micro and switch 120vac.
Am I on the right track or am I making this way too simple??
"Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler"
Albert Einstein

Yes, you are on the right track. You should investigate
how much power your wife's dryer takes (volts,
amps, watts, VA rating, PF).

You have a choice of solid state or mechanical relays,
the solid state variety would be superior but cost more.

Consider adding a blinking light or other indicator to
show that your circuit is working - 60 minutes is a
long time to do nothing.

Finally, consider a fail safe mode so that your circuit
stops working after more than one hour to prevent
a fire hazard or running up your utility bills.
By newbie123
8803 wrote:I am a newbie!!
Get the right switch (or a really good house fire insurance policy)
I mean no disrespect.

I have seen lots of appliances in the local dump. I found the right switch for my stove at the dump! (That was 8 years ago)
still working great.

If you do the experiment you want to and something goes wrong, that will be one more reason for the insurance company NOT to pay your claim in case of fire. (its not worth it)

Good Luck
By signal7
I think the OP could do the project without worrying too much about the insurance company. I see this fear of house wiring all the time online and in my community. I even know a guy that paid an electrician to replace a ceiling fan - and the job was so simple I thought paying someone to do it was a bit ridiculous.

The bottom line is that if the insurance company can prove that the fire started as a result of your project, they can deny the claim. BUT - on the other hand, if you have a fire and it wasn't the result of your project, they have to pay it. In essence, you have to be competent enough in your work to comply with local electrical codes and you have to take precautions to ensure that a failure won't result in a hazardous situation. If you can confidently do those two things, nothing is standing in your way, imho.
By bigglez
signal7 wrote: I even know a guy that paid an electrician to replace a ceiling fan - and the job was so simple I thought paying someone to do it was a bit ridiculous.
A former co-worker's neighbour would not agree.
He installed a ceiling fan himself. The house caught
fire. The investigation confirmed that the cause of the
fire was the ceiling fan installation. Insurance was denied.

I pulled a permit for installing my ceiling fans, and stood
an inspection. The key requirement was that the fan
be attached to a code brace and utility box, not the
general purpose handy box used for a ceiling light.
(Which I had to remove, greatly complicating the work).

Those code approved brackets were sold along side the
ceiling fans, at our local Home Despot.
signal7 wrote:In essence, you have to be competent enough in your work to comply with local electrical codes and you have to take precautions to ensure that a failure won't result in a hazardous situation. If you can confidently do those two things, nothing is standing in your way, imho.
Agreed. We are stifled by too many
Nanny Laws as it is. Besides, nothing clears your own
judgement and builds character like a house fire...