SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By Philba
This is for Olimex. When are you guys going to come out with debugwire support?

Phil
By OLIMEX
we can do this when Atmel decide do disclosure the protocol
Tsvetan
By Philba
That's kind of a non-answer. I assume that they aren't going to give it out so you really meant never or is there some chance in the not too distant future? I'd prefer to buy one of yours...
By OLIMEX
Hi,

We know this document, it describes the protocol between MKII and PC host but don't disclosure anything about debug wire low level protocol
Best regards
Tsvetan
By Philba
I guess that really means you guys have no interest in debugwire. That's too bad as it would be a popular board, certainly amoung the AVR crowd.
By wiml
Sounds to me less like "no interest" and more like "atmel is keeping it a secret". :roll:
By Philba
maybe its a language thing but it seems awfully passive for an outfit that has reverse engineered a bunch stuff. I think, for example, microchip has not released details of how mplab talks to programmers yet there are clones from them.

also, when I went to an atmel seminar, they were pretty upbeat about third party programmers. granted that may have just been the marketing weasles spinning a message...

what ever, I shall not hold my breath.
By OLIMEX
Philba,
I understand your point, however you don't see ours well ;)
I'm in contact with Atmel FAE who knows what and how we do. A while ago he suggested me to send e-mail to avr@atmel.com with request for Debug wire specs. I did and no reply whatsoever so far...
To not work with the specs from the vendor is nightmare - we learned our leasons with Picstart+/PIC-MCP.
We had to reverse engineer all the messages and the protocol just having the PIC programming specs, it took around one year until we found what does every byte/bit in the protocol. Microchip meanwhile is releasing new PICs almost every month and to make things worse the programming algorightms are so different than you can think that these PICs are not made in one and same company. We have one engineer dedicated just to follow ups the new releases of MPLAB and to make the firmware upgrades.
This is expensive approach and working on our tiny margins such extensive reverse engineering is non sense. As I wrote above we learned our leasons with Picstart+ and will not going to jump in the same trap with AVR debug wire. To clone the existing hardware - yes ;) to douplicate the Atmel JTAG development work and to release device at fraction of the cost - no, sorry.

Tsvetan
By OLIMEX
The official answer of Atmel have been received today:

Dear Mr.Usunov,

I'm afraid the debugWIRE protocol is internal and is not released to anybody.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Are Vinje
Project Manager, AVR Third Party Vendor Program