SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

This forum is for AVC competitors to ask SparkFun for guidance and clarification in regards to our Autonomous Vehicle Competition.
By patrick-the-funion
The box size has changed!

The good news is this makes it easier on everyone to get the boxes for bot testing. It turns out the small box I planned from the beginning is only available to our kitting department and they keep them under inventory control. The new box of choice is the small box our shipping department uses to send your small orders. The next revision of the rules has a drawing.

Measurements:
7 1/4" W
4 7/8" D
1 3/4" T
By ChaosBuster
:? We already had an arm and plan for the pickup, transport and dropoff of the loops...back to the drawing board with less than 10 weeks...
By ChaosBuster
Clarification on max points and tasks for Pickup, Transport and Delivery.
In the Tasks (section 4) there are references to at least two task instances for either Pickup, Transport or Deliver. In the Scoring (section 6) there are references to only one scoring and max points for these tasks. Does that mean there will not be full points for all the boxes that are referenced in the Tasks?

For instances, all the Pickup Tasks (4.3. Pickup Raw Materials & 4.6. Pickup Finished Product) refers to a total of three boxes. Yet in the Scoring (6.1.2) for Pickup the Max is 20 pts; Autonomous max is 100 pts.

This would insinuate a potential strategy of not dealing with any boxes after Pickup, Transport and Delivery of the two Raw Material boxes to Production.
By ChaosBuster
Hate to even say anything to restrict, but I'd rather know now as we redo our design.

QUESTION: Can the two Raw Material boxes be stacked or placed in any way as long as they are within the input area of the Pick-n-Place?
By patrick-the-funion
ChaosBuster wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:23 am In the Tasks (section 4) there are references to at least two task instances for either Pickup, Transport or Deliver. In the Scoring (section 6) there are references to only one scoring and max points for these tasks. Does that mean there will not be full points for all the boxes that are referenced in the Tasks?
You're right, that was unclear. The intent is to repeat the points given for each type of task without repeating the verbiage.
Here's a full breakdown of max points by task ( manual / autonomous )
  • Start: 10 / 30
  • Pickup (up to two boxes): 20 / 100
  • Transport to Production (up to two boxes): 20 / 60
  • Deliver to Manufacture (up to two boxes): 20 / 100
  • Pickup Finished Product: 10 / 50
  • Test: 10
  • Transport to Warehouse: 10 / 30
  • Deliver to Destination Shelf: 10 / 50
  • Get Back to Work 0 / 0
Now that I'm reading it again, it was worded pretty badly. My apologies. I'll post the official score sheet so judges and contestants are on the same page.
ChaosBuster wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:49 pm QUESTION: Can the two Raw Material boxes be stacked or placed in any way as long as they are within the input area of the Pick-n-Place?
Yes. The pick-n-place is a super advanced machine and can handle anything that lands within its input area.
By jessejay356
ChaosBuster wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:44 am :? We already had an arm and plan for the pickup, transport and dropoff of the loops...back to the drawing board with less than 10 weeks...
I know what you mean. I was hoping to just reuse my rover from last year. Now I have to do some work! ;)
By patrick-the-funion
I wanted to post a photo of the figure-8 track surface. I tried to capture the roughness and color for anyone interested.

Battle bots, on the other hand, will be indoors with swamp coolers and wifi. That way you can go cool off while you enjoy some robo-carnage.
By patrick-the-funion
AVC_2018_track_location.jpg
Sorry for that. This one should work better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By ChaosBuster
Thanks for the picture, Patrick! We were assuming rough terrain of pebbles and dirt. From the picture looks like bots will be rock-n-rolling. :) Our chassis are prepared for that...might have to do some location reckoning though.

Do you have any numbers on how many competitors yet for each category?

BTW, just came back from a month on the road and ready to get down to some field details, but when I clicked on the link from the first post of this thread it says 404 FORBIDDEN. The link is: https://info.sparkfun.com/hubfs/Events/ ... -rules.pdf

Jeanette
By ChaosBuster
There is a reference to a Starting Line shown by the black-and-white checkered bar in the warehouse and then mentions that it will be in the corner of the warehouse. But there is no indication of the bar or the start signal location in the layout diagram.

Is the bar supposed to be the same as the black line that is referenced to mark the real entrances?
Is the start signal to be on the hay bale to the left of the entrance at the start line?
By patrick-the-funion
I'm so sorry for the delay in response. My primary duties at work have been super stressful and demanding the past 2+ weeks.

The shelves and machines will be colored a medium shade of blue to contrast with the parking lot surface and the red box. I'll post photos when they are complete.

I need to figure out where exactly to put the starting indicator. When I get a chance to work that out, I'll post in here the specifics.