SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Pryankster
Here's a good idea for SparkFun to offer: buy a USB vendor ID and sell product-id's at a reasonable price. Buying a VID without being a USB-IF member is $1500.00 and I'd gladly pay something like 50.00 for a block of PID's (there are 0xFFFF PID'sfor each VID). You could sell an MSB's worth of VIDs for 50.00 and make back your investment with only 30 sales (and still have 220 blocks of 255 PIDs left :-) )

-- pryankster
By wiml
This is a great idea. I've thought about it also. Whether it's workable depends on the whim of the USBIF, though; even if they don't say they prohibit this they might prevent people from doing it. A while back a guy on sci.electronics did this with Ethernet MAC-layer IDs: he bought a manufacturer-ID from the IEEE (giving him 2^24 MAC addresses) in order to sell off subblocks to the many people who only need 1 or 10 addresses at a time. The IEEE got upset at him and convinced him to stop. The whole story is probably googlable.
By sparky
Wow! That's was an interesting stream of events. Nothing like getting threatened by the IEEE. Well then again, maybe it's not that scary.

Any hoots - I like the idea. I'll look into the specifics. Let's see if I can get introuble with the USB world.

-Nathan
By wiml
Wow, jasonharper, nice find!
By MGP
Wouter (the guy selling PIDs above) is a member in good standing of the MIT PIClist. I followed the thread where he actually contacted the USB.org group and verified that it was indeed OK to resell PIDs.

So yes, he is doing it with their blessing (or at least their knowledge).
By moorejl
Sparky,

Any word on this? I am developing a USB flashing module for my product and will need a VID/PID soon.

Jamie
By powerondude
I noticed that on the CD for my new PIC KIT FS USB (18F series), there is a form to fill out to use one of Microchip's PIDs.
By sparky
The market is too specific/niche at the moment. Better go with the voti.nl guy.

-Nathan
By wiml
Just my own unimportant personal preference, but I'd rather see sparkfun doing products / services that I can't easily get elsewhere. Sparkfun doing USB VID/PIDs means sparkfun not doing some other cool thing.