SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Andy
First post here so hello everybody!

Question for you guys. A coworker bought some of the accelerometer modules and I'm trying them out for some data acquisition. I can get good data in hyperterminal. When I write vb code to get the data, I get a few characters okay but for the most part it is gibberish. I'm using vb 6 with the MS comm controls. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!
-Andy
By stevech
not enough info here fella!
post your VB code.
Or start with some sample VB code for the serial port.
I've written lots of code for the serial ports with VB6
By pittuck
also post the jibberish if possible. Could be a problem in there somewhere (bit shift or somming)
By Andy
Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies. So it gets a bit more interesting. I tried it on another machine and it works fine. I've writen a bunch of comm code before too and couldn't figure out what the deal was... Just for grins here is the gibberish...

Sh`zxld Buihd 1.6 v.Analnf
Commulhbatinl8 105200 `prPrdss r`ttrn to stapt duhphng..,

you can see it kind of looks like what it is supposed to read... which is..

Shizzle Build 1.6 w/ Boot Loader
Communication: 115200 bps
Press return to start dumping...

I guessing that my corporate managed machine just has too many useless processes that are slowing it down.. I loaded my app onto my laptop and it runs great..

So anyway, thanks for the input and help!
-Andy
By MGP
It could also be baud clock error or marginal/bad RS232 drivers on the questionable PC. I've seen those kinds of errors before.

I gave up on Hyperterminal and haven't used it in years either. Too many phantom/weird problems. TeraTerm Pro or Bray+ Terminal are much better for embedded systems work and (best of all) they're free.