SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By slide
I would really like to be able to charge my next project safely and the MagSafe used in Mac laptops seems perfect. Can anyone located a 'clone' of this and a way to get them?
By riden
I know of at least two companies that will be offering these if and when Apple licenses the patented technology to the manufacturers.
By wiml
I saw on the net, probably on Instructables, a simple hack for using a disk-shaped magnet and a modified connector to make your own "magsafe"-style connector. AIUI, the basic idea of a magnetically-attached connector isn't new. I don't know what specific improvements Apple's patent might cover.
By Janus303
Is the patent the issue? I was just reading SparkFun's recent China blog post and they mentioned iPod connectors and whatnot and I was going to ask about MagSafe type connectors. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to rewire the clock drive on my telescope after tripping over wire in the dark. There aren't enough rocks or stakes in the world to completely hold down an extension cord. A klutz like me will always find a way.

And it's not just power either. The pedals connect to my Yamaha Clavinova using 24AWG wire and a molex connector. I've had to splice and crimp more than once after forgetting to disconnect the pedals before moving it. It was designed to sit in a studio, not transported from gig to gig, so I don't blame Yamaha for the design, but I'd love an easy way to make it idiot proof.
By wsc
Apple has US patent 7311526 on the MagSafe connector and they have defended that patent by suing companies who have tried to make duplicates of it. They even sued one company who bought the official Apple power supply, chopped the MagSafe connector off, and grafted it onto their product.

That being said, it may be less risky to sell a MagSafe "style" connector that was not compatible with Apple stuff at all. But even still, it's probably not worth the risk.

Edit: just to clarify about the docking connector...

If you made a product that had the same connector as the iPod/iPhone, I think Apple would sue you - as they are doing right now with Samsung and Samsung's connector only looks visibly the same, as far as I know.

However, Apple doesn't seem interested in suing people for copying the device-side connector... presumably because they want to create a whole ecosystem of devices that the iPod/iPhone can connect to.
By ZapWizard
You can easily make a mag-safe like connector using pogopins or spring contacts and a few magnets next to the connections.

I wouldn't recommend using magnets directly as a conductor as the instructible showed. Over time you may find your electrical connection isn't between two flat nickel surfaces, but across a few grains of iron dust.

Millmax sells pogo pins both raw and inside a 0.1" header type housing: http://goo.gl/dpK0r
Samtec sells spring and pogo pin style connectors. http://goo.gl/q6UFn
All are available in small quantities from multiple distributors.
By BritneyT
Could one buy the MagSafe cord and internal connector and put it into another device like the telescope or create a sla rapid that doesn't interfere with the Apple patent? I realize you would have to do some splicing and modifications and probably get the right power source but would the actual wiring and connection work for any power source? If Apple didn't have a patent on it, you would think that you would see more of these types of plugs on other devices.