SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By droll
http://www.eeproductcenter.com/passives ... =199904887
http://www.ovt.com/products/part_detail.asp?id=129

This seems like it would be a fun embedded camera. 3 megapixel, image stabilized (not sure how it is implemented), JPEG compression, 15FPS full resolution, 30 FPS @XGA.

Samples now, but I would like to know how much it will end up costing with an associated lens (autofocus control is built into the module)

Maybe SparkFun can carry it and build up a demo board?

-Scott
By pieterc
Hi there,

I agree that Sparkfun should stock a decent CMOS camera module with JPEG compression (not the cheap Samsung one). There is a lot of interest in other parts of the world for IP Camera applications (home security), Webcams, Underwater cams (hint, hint!) etc.

The problem with sourcing these integrated camera solutions is that it is aimed at the cellphone markets that order 100k quantities. I think there would be a huge amount of interest if it was available in 1k quantities or less.

I got the Transchip TC5747 solution going, but the support FW is only released under NDA and was not well written and documented.

I have noticed that one of our local distributors Arrow Altech is marketing an STMicroelectronics VS6724 solution, which means that it may be available at lower volumes:
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/fam ... vs6724.htm
* 1600H x 1200V active pixels
* Class leading 30 fps UXGA progressive scan
* 2.2 µm pixel size, 1/3.8 inch optical formate
* Quad-element plastic lens, F# 3.2, horizontal field of view
* 8.0 x 8.0 x 5.55 mm ultra low profile fixed focus camera module
* Embedded hardware JPEG compression (4:2:0 or 4:2:2) delivering 30 fps streaming performance
* Embedded camera controller for automatic exposure control, automatic white balance control, black level compensation, 50/60 Hz flicker cancelling, flashgun support.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Pieter

www.piconomic.co.za
By monzasteeve
I agree with pieterc, the transchip camera did work also for me, but beside the NDA there was also the little detail of the firmware to be uploaded to the module every time. Moreover, using their source code meant having to sacrifice quite some eprom, unless you wanted to rewrite the api in a more optimised way.

I checked quickly the ST one and seems that all is ready to go, in the pdf also the commands are well documented. Beside the funny footprint bga-like, this might be a killer camera module!

Ste
By chastings
Here's another "me too" reply. It'd be nice if Spark Fun stocked a VGA (or better) camera with hardware JPEG compression. Open documentation would be a plus...
By pieterc
Imagine all of the usage possibilities of tiny, self contained product that contains a CMOS camera module, SAM7 processor, MicroSD card interface, Li-Ion / NiMH battery pack, USB mini B interface to access SD card and charge battery. It could be programmed to take pictures once a second, or make a movie @ 25 fps stored in AVI format.

Optional extras would be to trigger it with Infra-Red (e.g. home alarm systems).

Possibilities:
Animal Cam
Dive Cam (in a watertight Otter Box)
Security Cam
Action Cam (mounted on a skate boarder's helmet)

Does that wet your appetite?

Pieter
Last edited by pieterc on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Azoore
I'll add a me too as well :)
By monzasteeve
...any feedback from Sparkfun yet..? Is this idea at least taken into consideration or are there issues?

Ste
By monzasteeve
I see nothing is moving here, sadly. Are we really stuck with VGA modules, if we are lucky?

If sparkfun is not taking into account this module, can anybody else suggest a better-than-vga-and-available camera module? So far i haven't been succesful finding one.

Ste
By linuxguy
pieterc wrote:Imagine all of the usage possibilities of tiny, self contained product that contains a CMOS camera module, SAM7 processor, MicroSD card interface, Li-Ion / NiMH battery pack, USB mini B interface to access SD card and charge battery.
I can see a lot of possibilities for a robocam using this too. :D If it has an ARM7 on the module, there could be possibility for onboard image processing like what is done with a CMUcam2 now, but at higher resolution(s). On board robot vision (not streaming, sort of time lapse) preprocessing might even be possible to some extent. I wonder if something like this could be used to take pictures at predermined intervals.

8-Dale
By Richardtheboffin
I'd be very interest in something with a decent resolution and a reasonable amount of horsepower built in. CMUCAM is OK, but not open source so it's a bit limited.

I am also looking at the new low cost Davinci MPEG chip from TI TMS320DM355. It has an ARM and hardware compression, composite and digital video interfaces and it can handle HD video. $12 a chip so they claim...
By tarun
monzasteeve wrote:I see nothing is moving here, sadly. Are we really stuck with VGA modules, if we are lucky?

If sparkfun is not taking into account this module, can anybody else suggest a better-than-vga-and-available camera module? So far i haven't been succesful finding one.

Ste
Have a look at our http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8412.
You can couple that with http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8413 to get some very nice, powerful image processing/storage/transmission options. The VCMX212 itself runs Linux so many preexisting applications can be ported...
By monzasteeve
No doubt your product is nice, but it's on another level. Here the point is to add nice imaging capability to any embedded application, for less than 50$ and with little implementation needed.

I've been looking around and sadly I still find nothing. Even more sadly, I cannot understand why the Sparkfun guys, who please us with good feedback and impeccable service, haven't yet made a statement concerning the jpeg modules, like the brilliant VS6724,
Is the module not available yet? Or are there other problems we are not aware of?

At least let us know you are listening to our requests...!

Steeve
By busonerd
Hey,

We listen, but we're not too interested in the JPEG modules. We'll take a look, but they're typically only useful if you just want to take a picture, and look at it on a computer. They're not very useful for robotics / analysis applications because decoding a jpeg is not exactly an easy task ;).

Cheers,

--David Carne
By monzasteeve
Yup, I completely agree that for a uC jpeg might be a bit too hard to chew, but consider the two options:

- you can always get output in play RGB if you want, then you get a decent 1600x1200 (or lower) image at a better S/N ratio than VGA sensor

- surveillance applications: i know of many nice projects, all limited by a crappy VGA output.. Plus, this module doesn't need the proprietary/NDA firmware upload of the TC5747 (which is discontinued anyway..)

Steeve
By par0dox99
monzasteeve wrote:I see nothing is moving here, sadly. Are we really stuck with VGA modules, if we are lucky?

Ste
I'm in for a decent high quality image compression cameras with documentation. I have a need for a cheap solution for decent quality aerial photos in unmanned robotic flight and high altitude balloon launches. VGA is great for real time image processing, but a waste of time for quality photos.

monxasteeve, I have found some modules with potential haven't tried them.

Purchase here when their in stock, but still kind of pricey

www.electronics123.com

c628 C628 Enhanced JPEG Camera Module
marginally decent res but has jpeg compression and storage

A higher res version but with no embedded storage capability. Might be modded with documentation (of which there is none easily available).
CMU20-5620

manufacture is here
http://www.comedia.com.hk/fp2007/comediahome.htm

[/url]