SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Tyler
I am replacing a ADXL250 that isn't working well in my system, and has been discontinued anyway. I am planing on ordering the analog devices breakout board, and the freescale board to compare them. I would like to get the ADXL in the ±5g and ±2g versions.

It looks like the breakout board can be ordered assembled with either the 320 or the 321. How about the ±2g ADXL322?

What case size are the capacitors in case I order the bare PCB, and get the 322 elsewhere?

Does anyone know when the 3 axis Analog Devices part (ADXL330) is going to be available?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions at once.
By sparky
You can never ask too many questions ;)

We've got breakout boards for the ADXL320, 321, and 322.

We are on the list for samples of the 330 but I don't expect we will see eng samples until Q2 of 06. It's way, way out there.

The board pictured is now retired in place of much easier to assemble breakout boards on the SFE site found here: http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php? ... itemid=290

We actually used to assemble those Tiny boards :shock:. Silly Spark Fun.

-Nathan
By Tyler
How do you mount the thing? The leads are all under the edge of the IC, and there appears to be an exposed pad on the underside of the part that the data sheet does not call out. What is it supposed to connect to?

I was thinking of extending the pads on the PCB out from under the part, and then using them to reflow solder to the pins. But what about the large pad that is completely under the part?

I got two of the development boards and I had to reflow one of them using a heat gun because it wasn't soldered down completely.

Should I just resign myself to sending this assembly out to a pick and place shop?
By sparky
Ahh comon! It's not that bad! :wink:

We rework CP210xs and ADXLxs all the time! Just get a rework station with a good soldering iron. Practice, and you'll have it in no time.

-Nathan
By leon_heller
Tyler wrote:How do you mount the thing? The leads are all under the edge of the IC, and there appears to be an exposed pad on the underside of the part that the data sheet does not call out. What is it supposed to connect to?

I was thinking of extending the pads on the PCB out from under the part, and then using them to reflow solder to the pins. But what about the large pad that is completely under the part?

I got two of the development boards and I had to reflow one of them using a heat gun because it wasn't soldered down completely.

Should I just resign myself to sending this assembly out to a pick and place shop?
The pad should probably be connected to ground. An easy way to connect it is to have a grounded copper area on top of the board, under the chip, and put a via in it. You can then feed solder into the via from the underside of the board whilst heating it with a soldering iron tip. A large via might help.

Leon
By perryrowe
If I want to use this board , is it necessery to use another opamp before ADC?
By leon_heller
leon_heller wrote:
Tyler wrote:How do you mount the thing? The leads are all under the edge of the IC, and there appears to be an exposed pad on the underside of the part that the data sheet does not call out. What is it supposed to connect to?

The pad should probably be connected to ground. An easy way to connect it is to have a grounded copper area on top of the board, under the chip, and put a via in it. You can then feed solder into the via from the underside of the board whilst heating it with a soldering iron tip. A large via might help.

Leon
That's how I do it, with a 1 mm via.

Leon
By leon_heller
perryrowe wrote:If I want to use this board , is it necessery to use another opamp before ADC?
It should have enough output not to need it. I am using the Freescale three-axis accelerometers (analogue output) with an MSP430, and there is plenty of output for the ADC.

Leon
By Philba
check the impedence of the output. some older ADXLs were much too high for direct ADC input but the newer ones seem to be interface-friendly.
By ak1394
Are you going to stock ADIS16100/ADIS16003 when they become available?