SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By jfernsler
Is it easy to create a small charger for some of the rechargable batteries listed in the sparkfun site? Is it feasible to trickle charge off of a small solar cell to just top off the battery as needed?

Can't say I know much about solar power or recharging batteries, but for some small mcrocontroller projects that may sit in the sun for a portion of the day it would be pretty sweet to never have to worry about it...

-JF
By maokh
I noticed that one of the LiPo chargers on this website has a USB charging option. The MAX 15555 limits current to 100mA (90mA nominal), which could possibly be supplied by a couple of the solar panels on this site.

What happens when you supply the USB/wallwart LiPo charger with a voltage/current that may randomly drop below the minimum voltage or current requirements?

My project in particular calls for very low current draw, a large battery, and a minimal/intermitent, but long term source of energy (solar).
By Grimm Spector
maokh wrote:I noticed that one of the LiPo chargers on this website has a USB charging option. The MAX 15555 limits current to 100mA (90mA nominal), which could possibly be supplied by a couple of the solar panels on this site.

What happens when you supply the USB/wallwart LiPo charger with a voltage/current that may randomly drop below the minimum voltage or current requirements?

My project in particular calls for very low current draw, a large battery, and a minimal/intermitent, but long term source of energy (solar).
also possible to use the MAX and a cap & some diodes to get a reasonable charge 'burst' going.