SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By sparky
Well there's some inherent problems with your question:

The ADXL output 'gravities' - or more accurately accelerations. You are wanting miles per hour - or velocity. To get velocity from acceleration, whip out your old physics books. You'll have to integrate accel once to velocity. Integrate again and you'll have distance.

Integrating (roughly speaking) with a PIC is not too difficult. You'll need to check the ADXL reading multiple times a second (100hz should do) and record the gravity reading (units are m/s^2 right?).

1G = 9.81m/s^2

so for every reading you take multiply by the slice of time. For example, let's say the ADXL is reporting .01G at a specific point in time:

.01G * 100Hz = .01 * (9.81m/s^2) * 1s/100 (this is 100 hz)
delta v (change in velocity) = 0.000981m/s
This is your change in velocity. You've just increased speed a bit. Add this number to an overall velocity variable over time.

There are tons of problems associated with using 8-bit micros to do floating point math and big ugly numbers that I won't go into but it can be done. Also, the ADXL has a tendancy to have reading shifts due to temperature changes. These small changes get magnified by integration.

It's a sticky situation,
-Nathan
By kt
Thanks for the infor about how to convert accelerations. I looked at the Firmware v2.1 source code and was wondering if the source for Delay.c and soft232.c are available for download?

Thanks for all your help...
By Guest
Most likely not, as they are probably libraries for the C compiler they used for the project, and hence belong to the compiler company, not Sparkfun
By UberSteve
I too am looking for soft232.c and delay.c so that I can further develop the SerAccel v3.

What compiler do these come with?

Cheers,
Steve