SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By jbg189
I have looked all over and it seems like no one makes a liquid pressure sensor that could be used with Arduino/RapberryPi. There are bunches and bunches of pressure sensors for atmospheric pressure. Sparkfun now has the SEN-12909 sensor that can handle liquids. At $60 it's 4-10 times the cost of atmospheric pressure sensors, which is what it is, but even then there's no clear way on how one would actually use it, i.e. actually attach a water tight coupler to the sensor ring. I just assumed that potable water safe pressure sensors would be one of the main go-to products people wanted, but I can't find them anywhere. This leads me to believe either (1) I'm wrong, and no one cares about water pressure or (2) there's some glaringly simple answer that everyone knows about so no one needs to talk about it... like there's some off the shelf pool or aquarium sensor that everyone knows you can just plug into a 1/4" NPT T fitting and get all the PSIs you need.
At this point, I'm debating between a $300 industrial part or one of 1000 available $6 gauges and a camera/image recognition to read the gauge, which seems ridiculous.

Anyone know anything about the best ways to read pressure in a potable water system?

Thanks.
By jbg189
Thanks for the input. A lot of it I found in my initial search and put in the category of (1) no one (or more accurately very few people) cares about water pressure. Those are good suggestions, but far from plug and code and play. Some of those product links I've not seen and look interesting though, and regardless I thank you all for your input.
I think I need to get a new Arduino, as hooking any of these analog sensors up to the current RasPi system seems too complicated.
By Ross Robotics
jbg189 wrote:Those are good suggestions, but far from plug and code and play.
How so? Look pretty simple to me..
jbg189 wrote:I think I need to get a new Arduino, as hooking any of these analog sensors up to the current RasPi system seems too complicated.
That's how you learn..
By jremington
Either of the ones I linked above will interface with the RPi via an ADC. There are several on line tutorials that do not seem complicated.