SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Red Sand
I believe it would be possible to use two or three bendable tubes and run a truck on it

Of course, the bent shape would have to be able to remain fixed, holding the desired shape, and the truck would have to be able to move along the straight, curved, possibly spiral-twisted path/track

But if someone could make this work, then I believe some awesome videos could be realized (using time-lapse photography)

Meh . . . food for thought . . . that's what this forum is for, right? (hope I'm doing this right)

I have lots of ideas but like this one, it's embarrassing to mention them because there seems to be a level of feasibility that may prevent a successful solution, thus putting these ideas as evidence of my warped old little brain :lol:

Thanks
By Ross Robotics
You could use these arms and connect several end to end. Then put a rubber hose to cover it so it has something smooth to ride on..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Mee_n_Mac
HaD had a variety of "solutions" for this highlighted at their site. It really comes down to how much you want to spend.

My concept would be based on a monorail (though perhaps a ski chairlift is closer), w/the cam suspended below the rail on a pan/tilt platform. Put a 3D accel on the platform to give a reference to tilt and a compass for pan. Perhaps have power sent down the rail(s) to power the electronics and motors/servos.
By Red Sand
The original idea came to me when I was at Home Depot . . . somehow, I found myself staring at 1/2" OD PVC pipe and thinking three of them could be connected with snap-in "Y" connectors, creating a variety of shapes (arcs, sine waves, et cetera)

Maybe the "Y" connectors could be 3D printed parts