SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By sagarwal10
Hi all

I'm looking for a simple device I can connect to an Arduino/Beagle/Raspberry that I can
output Braille characters to.

It could be buttons that are controlled by a motor that pushes them out/retracts them.

If you know of a single component (that I can buy multiple off and stick them together)
or a complete unit, either would work.

Existing Braille printers/displays in the market costs thousands of dollars. I want something
a iot cheaper (and less robust perhaps) for a proof of concept.
By lyndon
You'll get better answers if you give a quick overview of the existing Braille printers.
How many dots? How high to raise/lower them? Do they all raise to the same height? How close together are they?

And the one no one bothers to mention: how much do you want it to cost?
By Ross Robotics
Although I don't understand how a blind person perceives braille when they touch it, But I always thought that the finger has to move over them?? If this is not the case, then I can see a MCU controlling some small motors to move some small "buttons" to mimic braille. But the finger would be stationary over the "buttons." And the device would be rather large. Could be made smaller after prototyped.
By lyndon
Guessing from the few times I've paid attention to Braille, I'm sure it could be done with a bunch of solenoids and some music wire to transmit the power to a confined location, but it would help if he clarified.
By sagarwal10
Hi Lyndon & Codlink - thank you for your replies.

I would like to reiterate this is STRICTLY A PROOF OF CONCEPT. So I don't care how big or small it is.
I just need to be able to prove that I can use a small microprocessor to cycle through the Braille
alphabet (which consists of a permutation of a binary matrix of size 3 rows by 2 columns).

I need to have 6 buttons (size doesn't matter) arranged in a rough 3*2 matrix (doesn't matter how far apart they are)
that can go up and down independently.

All I am looking for from this forum is an existing product that I can order online that is a single component - a motor,
an air controlled device - anything - that can move something like a button up and down vertically. I can buy six of
them and arrange them.

If I need to spec out and build something out of solenoids and/or motors, then this project is a no-go.

Thank You.
By Ross Robotics
No, i doubt you will find anything already done. Especially, that small. And yes, I am talking about 1 button and motor.
By Ross Robotics
Just because you can't find something, doesn't mean it can't be done. One day you may find something that has the mechanism that you're looking for. You could also brainstorm this project, take notes, draw out a mechanisms that comes to mind on a restaurant napkin. I can see this being really popular if you continue and could make some money.

I have some thoughts in mind. I have a 3D printer and can prototype something relatively quick. Of course, I am a mechanic by profession and electronics is just a hobby.
By Ross Robotics
I was actually thinking of something like this, http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/dys/dys0015. It already has the linear movement you need.
By lyndon
If your POC boils down to being able to move buttons up and down, you don't need to build an assembly, 6 solenoids will do that easily as long as the movement distance isn't too far. Those solenoids you linked to will do 4.5mm. Mount 6 of them to a panel and add a power driver and an arduino and you're set. With the right tools, it's a Saturday morning project.
By Ross Robotics
I don't think it's that simple. Those buttons and solenoids need to be in the area of a finger tip. I doubt those solenoids are that small. Which means that there needs to be a mechanism that can transfer the movement to the button.

I was thinking of a spring loaded button that would be pulled down by a servo, when released, it pop up. This way you could have the servos laying on there side with the buttons attached by a string/cable.
By Mee_n_Mac
lyndon wrote:He said it's just a proof of concept and size and spacing don't matter.
He also said ...
All I am looking for from this forum is an existing product that I can order online that is a single component - a motor, an air controlled device - anything - that can move something like a button up and down vertically. I can buy six of
them and arrange them.

If I need to spec out and build something out of solenoids and/or motors, then this project is a no-go.
So I'm a tad confused as to whether 6 solenoids pushing piano wires is a go or a no-go.

FWIW I have a very old memory of someone converting a dot matrix printer head into a single digit Braille "writer". I don't recall how well received it was.
By sagarwal10
Dear Codlink, Lyndon, Mee_n_Mac - thank you for all your input and ideas. Yes size & spacing doesn't matter so the 6 solenoids might work.

This thread was quite useful for me both in determining that there is nothing readily available in the market, and that it'll have to be built using components like solenoids. Thanks for helping me get a handle on the scope of the project.