SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By robertbaruch
So my application is, I have a digital read out, an Electronica EL400. I got it with the intent that I would (somehow) be able to read the readings using some interface, whether serial, USB, whatever. Well, the thing has a USB port on it, but it's only for reprogramming the Xilinx FPGA that runs the thing (and great, the vendor ID of the USB port isn't even listed!). There is no other output. Except, of course, the 7-segment LEDs. Aha!

I opened the DRO, and found four boards: a power supply (5V), the scale interface board, the Xilinx main board, and the display interface (display + keys) board. The main board and display interface board are connected via two standard 0.1" pitch dual headers. One is 2x13, the other is 2x8.

I was able to figure out the signaling, so I should be able to hook into these headers, run the wires to an Arduino, and provide a USB serial port where I can output the data.

So now I just need something that goes between the headers on the two boards so that I can tap into the signals. It would be nice if there were a small breakout board that just contained a stackable header in various sizes. My current plan is to get a few of the solderable breadboards, cut them apart, and solder stackable headers to them. But it would be so much better if there were a pre-built board that I could get.

Anyway, that's my idea: a breakout board for stackable headers. Especially 2xN headers.
Last edited by robertbaruch on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ross Robotics
Your link is broken.