SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By teekay_tk
good find!!

a spark-fun must have item
By Grimm Spector
teekay_tk wrote:good find!!

a spark-fun must have item
fantastic for anyone doing robotics btw, I was able to obtain a sample, they're a pretty cool company, I wish I could get my hands on the space cells heh, they're powerful, of course not nearly as powerful down here...there's another type they have there with a concentrator that are pretty good too, but for the price and size you can't beat those TASC cells by the data sheets, and from performance experience, they meet or exceed the sheets.
By Grimm Spector
SFE are you guys not interested in these cells?
By Grimm Spector
josh_wolf wrote:http://www.solarworld.com has cells & made them for sparkfun I think are the cells here close to the same specs?
did you read the spectro lab specs?? these 'solarworld' guys aren't even close to that...they have some interesting products to be sure but nothing that would be useful in robotics like this spectro lab stuff.
By sparky
We had the cells fabbed in China for us. Well, they made us feel special but I think they're just stock cell products.

The high efficiency cells look awesome. But they won't return our calls. And they've got some hairy export requirements. Speaking of which, we at SFE are starting to get paranoid because of the recent crack-downs. Anyone notice Omega Engineering made the sh*t list because they sent some off limits materials to a germany company that then redirected it to Pakistan?

Limited Export Privileges
Wow that is scary...

So we'll keep looking into the high-end cells but as we grow we have to be more and more careful what we can and can't export.

-Nathan
By Grimm Spector
sparky wrote:We had the cells fabbed in China for us. Well, they made us feel special but I think they're just stock cell products.

The high efficiency cells look awesome. But they won't return our calls. And they've got some hairy export requirements. Speaking of which, we at SFE are starting to get paranoid because of the recent crack-downs. Anyone notice Omega Engineering made the sh*t list because they sent some off limits materials to a germany company that then redirected it to Pakistan?

Limited Export Privileges
Wow that is scary...

So we'll keep looking into the high-end cells but as we grow we have to be more and more careful what we can and can't export.

-Nathan
Good point, but exporting to Canada isn't so bad if you get an end user export liscence, though I don't know if you guys want to pickup the cost for that, it would let you do any solar technology and a bunch of other items, just a thought.

I love the cells but it is a good point, and my being across the border makes it suck. Maybe you can get someone from China to come over here and buy one from Spectro and check it out and make their own version? ;)

As far as no call back goes Nathan, they tend not to in my experience but respond great to emails!
By teekay_tk
I am dying to get my hands on these solar cells. my being accross the atlantic makes it even worse :(
By teekay_tk
Hi,
I think the restricting have been lifted or eased, might be good point checking with them again

TK