SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By victorf
I have been using some of the breakout boards for the ADXL accelerometers and have experienced problems dead units. Examination of the PCM outputs from these boards show that the pulses normally associated with these units is missing and I have concluded that they are dead. :( . The accelerometers worked fine for a period of time. I am reading the PCM output using a PIC 16F876A. I have been using the E8 series 2g units. I do not believe that they have been exposed to any sort of over voltage or other electrical stress.

These units, purchased from SFE, have only been used on my bench and have not been handled in any sort of rough manner; dropped or otherwise shocked. I was wondering if there is a problem of high failure rates of these puppies. Has anyone experienced unexplained failures of these units? Just how much shock, in practical terms, can they handle? For instance, would you expect failure if one was dropped perhaps 1 foot onto the workbench? I can't use them in an application if they do not have "reasonable" robustness.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Vic
By leon_heller
I've not experienced any problems, although I haven't used them for some time. I'd suspect failed solder joints first - have you investigated that?

I wouldn't have thought that dropping the PCB onto the bench would damage it, although dropping a chip onto a hard surface from a metre or more might.

Leon
By teekay_tk
i was using adxl330 for a project and found intermittent operation. thinking it was something to do with solderjoints, i put some quickset epoxy on it so that ic wont move or seperate from board. since thent he boar has worked fine.

regards
By farpunks
I suspect this is a result of sfe's hi-tech board assembly process (based on high-quality, precision-engineered $29.99 frying pans)
By leon_heller
farpunks wrote:I suspect this is a result of sfe's hi-tech board assembly process (based on high-quality, precision-engineered $29.99 frying pans)
They now use proper reflow soldering equipment.

Leon