SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Chevelle
Hi. My recent projects have lead me to a question. I am finding more and more projects that I want to do involve microcontrollers that interface to a laptop or PC, not just for programming. In one case, I designed a USB module that uses a standard USB-A to USB-Bmini cable at one end and connects to two accelerometers on the I2C bus at the other. It has a FT231 UART and a PICAXE 08M2. The PICAXE just reads the data from the accelerometers and sends it through the UART to the PC.

In my next project, I want the same sort of connection between the module from the computer side but something different on the microcontroller side. (That project is for a reflow oven. The UART/PICAXE just passes temperature info from the oven to the PC and accepts on/off instructions from the PC to turn the triac on or off. That way I can have sophisticated PID temperature management and heating curves for various solder pastes.)

So that brings up my thought for a type of breakout.

There are plenty of applications where a constant or at lease occasional connection to a laptop or PC is desirable. That can of course be done with the programming cable for the particular controller. But how about a series of breakouts that have the UART on board and the connections to microcontroller? This way a standard USB cable and be used for both programming and normal use.

For example, I use PICAXE controllers. One breakout board could have an FT231 on-board and space to populate the 08M2, 14M2, etc. If, say the 08M2 was sufficient for my needs, I could break off the remaining real estate for the other chips. The same could be done for other popular microcontrollers.

Just a thought.