SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By RecycledElectrons
Atmel's AtMega2561 is a 64 pin MCU that's almost identical to the AtMega128 that you used to sell on Olimex's breakout board. I would love it if you would put 2561s on those boards and sell them. If you have to redesign the board, could you please run the I/O pins out to 10 pin (stk-style) headers?

Atmel's AtMega 2560 is the 100 pin TQFP version of the AtMega2560. I would love to see a breakout board for this chip, with the option of buying it with the chip, assembled and tested. Ideally, I would get 10 pin headers for ISP, JTAG, and I/O Ports A-L.

Infineon's TLE 5206 is a 5 amp (6 amp peak) H-bridge that's available for $3 each in qty. 1. It needs one external cap and one external resistor to make it work (and, of course, the heat sink.) Best of all, it's available in a TO-220 package. I would love to see a break out board for this. There's no need to offer this product soldered and tested, as I can solder through-hole packages.

Andy
By TSPRAP
While were at it I would also love to see a ATmega169 (or 329, 649) development board. The Atmega169 is an AVR with a built-in LCD 100 segment controller. It is available in TQFP 64 or MLF 64 pakages. This is the same AVR that is used on the butterfly but the butterfly is limited in its capabilities. A development board with a proto area and a LCD. (not a regular 2x16 HD44780 but the LCD Glass..what the ATmega169 is there for)

Another nice dev board I would also like to see is a AtMega3290,6490 development board. These are similar to the mega169,329,and 649 as they also have a Built in LCD controller. These are 100pin devices and can control LCD 160 segments! Also with a (better) LCD (same note as the mega169)

I just have an odd obsession with the AVRs that have built-in LCD controllers and the new USB AVR's USB. (atmel, were's my AT90USB169?) ;)
By RecycledElectrons
I see a pattern in our requests. Atmel's boards are very cool, and dirt cheap, but they lack the light weight, small size, and full access to the pins that hobbyists like myself beg for.

Andy Out!
By TSPRAP
I would buy a STK502 or STK504 but it costs more than the STK500 is! It is a good deal considering it has a ZIF socket and a built in LCD plus the option to use your own LCD, but too much for me. If olimex made somthing it would probably be in the $25-$40 range. Olimex would probably have great sales on the 100pin AVR Development boards as the only 100pin boards I've seen have been the STK503, and 504.
By RecycledElectrons
I still want a board that takes an AtMega in a QFP package out to ISP, JTAG, and I/O ports. The only other things I'd put on board would be an analogue reference and a voltage regulator.

I've noticed that some companies will not only make the PCBs, but will even solder parts onto it. Has anyone had any experience making breakout boards, and having surface mount processors (e.g., QFP) soldered on by the people who make the processor boards?

Andy Out!
By SOI_Sentinel
I have not looked into assembled PCBs for a while. I remember looking at Pad2Pad a long time ago. Their board prices for small quantities was higher than I wanted, they were just getting to the point of saying "we will mount anything that Digikey has as normal stock" and I think the labor tripled the costs of the boards. Looks like they don't do that anymore...
By RecycledElectrons
First, THANKS for stocking the AVR-H128 with an AtMega128 soldered on board. I'm building a board that that plugs into to break out 10 pin STK-style headers for ports A, B, C, D, E, F, and maybe G.

Second, can you please offer those same boards with an AtMega2561 (which is pin compatible to the AtMega128) soldered on?

You would be the only company (other than Atmel) to offer a breakout board for the AtMega2561, or for any of their 256k AtMegas.

Finally, when I get my adapter from the pins on the AVR-H128 to STK style 10 pin headers working, I'm going to suggest that you also offer that as a standard breakout board.

Andy Out!