SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By fkatzenb
Sparkfun,
Would you be willing to work with one of your suppliers to make RGB displays in 1-4 digit packaging for both 7 segment and their big brother alpha numeric segment displays? Maybe a small kickstarter would work to prove the desire for them in small, medium, and large formats.

Being able to have infinite color and brightness control over each segment just seems awesome.

Thanks,
Frank
By Kamiquasi
It might be a bit of a catch-22.. I don't really see much demand for such a product*, but maybe its existence for cause demand.

* Just to elaborate.. If I needed color control, odds are I'd go for an 7-seg type LCD instead and just vary backlighting for the entire LCD or per digit/character. Alternatively, I'd hack something together (which would make larger displays possible as well). If I absolutely needed per-segment RGB controls and for whatever reason couldn't go with a color display LCD panel (which would then allow me to do much more than just show fixed size 7 segment numbers) and needed to produce this in quantity, I might hit up a manufacturer with a custom PCB design and a CAD file either for CNC'ing plastics or an injection molding process (depending on just how much quantity I'm talking about). It would be pretty expensive, though.
By SFE-Toni
fkatzenb wrote:Well this is kind of disappointing that nobody either reads this or cares. ;)
I promise, we do try to keep up with the forums as much as possible and we do care about our customer suggestions! Unfortunately, Kickstarter campaigns, as well as finding a wide variety of custom sizes, can be difficult for our already-swamped research team and IT department. I can bring the suggestion up, but depending on pricing options from our suppliers, this may not be a feasible option for us to pursue carrying on the storefront.

Keep the suggestions coming though! We do love hearing what our customers are looking for.
By largebrick
I've actually been looking high and low for a 7-segment RGB display (for use in a lap timer - i.e. progressively more green for better than the previously lap, etc.). If you guys could acquire some, it would be awesome - the link supplied is pretty much what i'm looking for, but I can't work out how to buy them?!
By rmteo1
Why not just use a TFT LCD of the appropriate size? You can then have any color, size and font (even different ones) all at the same time.