Digital AC Dimmer Module

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!

Moderator: phalanx

Post Reply
draco87
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by draco87 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:29 am

I would be forever grateful if SparkFun would create a module along the same lines as this: http://www.inmojo.com/store/inmojo-mark ... er-module/.

n1ist
Support Volunteer
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:02 am

Re: Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by n1ist » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:11 am

That module does not have suitable spacing between the high and low voltage sides; I would avoid it.
/mike

draco87
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by draco87 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 am

n1ist wrote:That module does not have suitable spacing between the high and low voltage sides; I would avoid it.
/mike
Even more reason for SparkFun to create a better product that has this functionality.

wiml
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:45 pm
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Contact:

Re: Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by wiml » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:18 pm

The PowerSwitchTail people have some products along those lines. (Annoyingly, it looks like you need to buy the zero-crossing detector and the SSR switch as separate "tail"s? Whose idea was that?) Maybe SF could carry them.

draco87
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by draco87 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:29 am

wiml wrote:The PowerSwitchTail people have some products along those lines. (Annoyingly, it looks like you need to buy the zero-crossing detector and the SSR switch as separate "tail"s? Whose idea was that?) Maybe SF could carry them.
I would much prefer an embeddable version like the link I posted.

gino1984
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by gino1984 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 pm

draco87 wrote:I would be forever grateful if SparkFun would create a module along the same lines as this: http://www.inmojo.com/store/inmojo-mark ... er-module/.
Why don't you buy theirs, whats wrong with it? I was actually considering getting it...

Gino.

draco87
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by draco87 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:15 pm

The modules from inmojo seem to rarely be in stock and their safety has been called into question by one of the previous posts:
n1ist wrote:That module does not have suitable spacing between the high and low voltage sides; I would avoid it.

MichaelN
Support Volunteer
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Digital AC Dimmer Module

Post by MichaelN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 pm

They provide the schematic, and the design is open source, so why not whip up a PCB yourself with the safety issues resolved? Should be really quick (if you're familiar with PCB CAD tools), and for $10 at Itead or Seeed you can get 10 PCBs made.

Post Reply