SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By evaleto
Hi,

I'm building a set of electronics pieces to replace with opensource licence each part of a low powered electric bicycle. I've already done some experimental parts for prototyping only, http://olivier.gelux.ch/?q=taxonomy/term/36 I think that sparkfun could be interested somewhere ;)

Regarding our specific usecase, we did a list of features that will be developed,
  • keep the bicycle minimal and beautiful,
  • our electric bicycle kit doesn't overcharge the bicycle it's light! without battery you can still use your bicycle,
  • the bicycle could be used as battery charger with a X% of human power shared for this usage,
  • the battery could be used for other purpose like led lighting or laptop power supply,
  • the charger is small you can carry it everywhere to recharge the battery on demand with a lot of power source (laptop power, solar panels,.. ),
  • the hub motor is ultra small with a power from 220W to 250W for less than 2.0kg,
  • no pedal assist, no useless wire, you press a boost button (ideally wireless) when you need help or when you want recharge the battery,
  • the kit construction will be available on opensource license
After, reading and learning about electronics and electric bicycle, I have a better idea on what should be done to make this a real product. And regarding my freetime (this is not currently a business project) here is my roadmap,
  • make custom battery real. with battery protection, and battery charger (the charger will be small and pluggable with several source of power as laptop power or solar panels : input 19-24V/4A), - this has already started and will be published soon on github LTC3862-2, LTC3873-5, BQ77910
  • make custom bldc motor controller TMC603,
  • manage I/O (throttle, breaks, power, data log ) with several devices, (bluetooth, rfm12b, etc..)

This is a freetime opensource project with source available here https://github.com/evaletolab, I'm not an expert with those subjects and I will really appreciated technical help or any participation!

Olivier
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]