SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By CJ_Arduino
Hey guys! So my brother has an idea. He plays waterpolo and thinks that a simple remote control, wirelessly accessible to the ref, that could run the shot clock would be really useful. I would need information on the communication between the shot clock and the control board, but it looks like a type of serial ( Although it varies from shot clock to shot clock). Any Ideas as to the transmitter/receiver? I'm thinking an xbee for full blown serial communication with an atmega. Or, its possible I could hack the button hardware, which makes the circuit and programming REALLY simple. Anybody have an idea where I could find some circuit diagrams of shot clocks, or any ideas on the transmitter/receiver. Any help is appreciated!!!!
By MichaelN
No offence, but you'll need to explain yourself a bit better if you want help. For a start, perhaps try linking to some "shot clocks", as most people won't know what they are. A block diagram showing what you're trying to do would help too, as most people aren't familiar with water polo.
By CJ_Arduino
Ok yes thank you. When I can get to a computer I will post a link to one, I am on a droid. My main concern is the transmitter. It needs to be capable of transferring serial data signals at up to a hundred feet and be fairly light weight, draw minimul current, and be essentially waterproof. The whole concept is this: a shot clock simply displays how much time is left for a team with the ball to shoot. If they do not get a shot off, it changes possession. The problem with regular shot clocks is that they must be run by a booth, and if the workers don't catch the ref in time to stop the shot clock suring some stoppage, it could get chaotic. So our idea is to create a transmitter and reciever that has a simple start, stop, and reset button easily available to the ref.. I don't need to receive any specific technical details about shot clocks if you have none to offer, but I would like to know if anyone knows an addordable and reliable solutions. Xbees are expenxive for such a simple setup, Does anyone know of any other methods as reliable? I am sorry for not being specific.