SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By tapsemi
I am looking at a media processor chip, from a less known Chinese company, and it says it has got a CCIR 601/656 interface for LCD. Now I did a google search for this CCIR 601/656 interface but I haven't yet found a website with good inofrmation about this interface. Hence my question is:
1) Can this CCIR 601/656 interface be used to connect to a 640x480 LCD display?
2) How many maximum bit resolution with this bus support? Can it support 24bits?
3) Final dumb question: The chip datasheet doesn't mention whether it has a LCD controller inside but isn't if it is providing the CCIR 601/656 interface it should have the controller inbuilt?
4) Ok, last one. Where can I find detailed info about this interface. Thanks.
By SOI_Sentinel
Hard to say. CCIR 601/656 is a standard video format for passing around video data. I believe you'll have to search harder for the actual format, the ITU standard costs to get a copy last I checked.

Now, it could have an output for this, which would either feed an LCD driver or a video codec that would form an analog TV signal. This sounds, from your explanation, to have a built in controller. Your concern to drive an LCD would be speed, as you'd need to provide the referesh rate. This may work. The other issue is that this is possibly not a parallel out interface. Most CCIR formats are YUV. This does NOT map to RGB space without a transform. It may be compatible with a cheap "LCD TV", but probably not a higher resolution display.

It's hard to say beyond this without more research.