SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By riden
Last night I connected the white Luxeon III LED I ordered. I turned on the power and yikes! That LED is BRIGHT. :o I thought my protoboard went nova. I'm still seeing spots! Just kidding about the spots, no lawsuits pending. :)

I heard that Luxeon has a version of this device that is "warmer" and is suited for replacement of low wattage incandescent lamps (i.e. under-the-counter lamps, etc.). If that is true, are there any plans to carry the device? I would like to replace several under-the-counter lamps in the house with these devices, and I would prefer to send the business SparkFun's way.
By phalanx
The Luxeon Warm White line is what you are looking for. The Lumileds part number for it is LXHL-BW03, LXHL-MWGC, and LXHL-NWG8 for the emitter, Star Hex, and Star O respectively.

They have a color temperature around 3500 degrees but note that they are 1 watt devices so they take about 350ma instead of an 1A. It would be sweet if Sparkfun could represent the entire Lumileds but I'm afraid I would start spending more money!

Check out the Lumileds website: http://www.lumileds.com . They have great information on all of their products as well as cool pictures of different applications they have been used in.

-Bill
By riden
The Warm White line is exactly what I'm looking for, and it appears that I can order small quantities. Thanks for the information, Bill.

Ralph