SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By godefroi
One of the great advantages of using an Arduino as a hobbyist is that it's often possible to pull the programmed MCU from the Arduino board and drop it into a custom-made (or protoboard-constructed) permanent home. This is cheap and easy.

For those who prefer the NETMF solutions such as the Netduino or FEZ line of products, things aren't so easy. These MCUs come in LQFP packages which, even if one had the skills and equipment to solder, would require a custom board to be designed and produced.

I propose a breakout board for the USBizi100 and/or USBizi144 chipsets (based on the LPC2387/LPC2388), available from GHI Electronics here. The chipset itself isn't extremely expensive at $13.18 in quantities of 100. A simple board containing only the bare-minimum required components (which, I believe, consists of simply a crystal and a couple of caps) could be manufactured easily and cheaply, and could provide the same type of modularity to those of us that love the power and flexibility of the NETMF platform.

Thanks for your time!
By andyolivares
It looks like a great idea. Come on Sparkfun guys! Make a USBizi100/144 breakout board for us! I will happily buy a couple of them if ever made (and reasonably priced).