SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Corwin
With so many peripherals (XBee, Ethernet, sensors, and the like) available in only 3.3v, how about a Mega version that runs at 3.3v? I use the Pro Mini (3.3v) now for my projects, but often run out of ports. Also, the 3.3v regulator in the Pro Mini is under-powered.

In fact, I'd argue to make 3.3v the standard voltage for Arduino, but it's probably too late for that :wink: . It's beyond me why the original design used 5v. I'd like to see all of the standard boards offered in 3.3v form. How about starting a new product range called "Arduino3" with of course 3.3v as the operating voltage? Then you could have the "Arduino3 Uno", etc.

Anyone else feel that 5v is just so yesterday?
By tetsujin
One mitigating factor is that the Mega328, at least, is not spec'ed to run at full speed at 3.3V. This is why the 3.3V Arduinos run slower than the 5V ones. (8MHz for the 3.3V ones, 16MHz for the 5V ones.) I don't know if that's also true of the Mega1280 used on the Arduino Megas...

Otherwise I agree, it seems like there are quite a few strong arguments for going to 3V...

The thing about the 3.3V regulator on the Arduino boards is that it was practically an afterthought (I think) - the FTDI chip provided a 3.3V output, so (I guess) it just wound up as part of the shield interface because it was available. This 3.3V supply from the FTDI chip has a low output, which is probably why the regulator used to provide that 3.3V on boards without an FTDI chip (such as the Pro) is also low-output...
I'm actually surprised a Sparkfun beta tester program didn't exist already!

For Corwin and tetsujin: If you need serious Arduino horsepower at 3.3V, look into the chipKIT Uno32 and the chipKIT Max32. These are Arduinos based on the Microchip PIC32 which offers 32-bit processing and significantly faster clock speeds. More info can be found here: http://www.chipkit.cc/wiki/index.php?ti ... T_platform

For JoelEB: The new PIC32 Arduino platform is still open source and the chipKIT name can be licensed for free from Microchip. Sparkfun may want to introduce products based on this platform. Perhaps work with Brian Schmalz (EmbeddedMan on the forum) to adapt his UBW32 design to be compatible with the chipKIT. You could call it the chipKIT Pro and I would imagine it would do pretty well if the price point is right.

The only thing I wonder about is I suspect the chipKIT Uno32 and Max32 might be subsidized by Microchip because their prices are very low even compared to less capable development platforms.

-Bill
By tetsujin
JoelEB wrote:Hey Corwin and tetsujin, how would you two like to participate in a new beta tester program that Sparkfun is experimenting with? It just might have something to do with a Mega running at 3.3V.
What would be involved?
For phalanx: Great suggestion! I'm personally not a PIC guy, but those are both great Arduino alternatives. Lots more power! The number of arduino-type-form-factor boards are popping up more and more. Leaflabs' Maple boards are an other great alternative. They use an ARM instead, but they also run at 3.3V.

For tetsujin: Basically, we would send you a prototype product. You would play around with it and put it through the ringer. Then you would send us some feedback (within a timely manner, say 3-6 weeks), and in return you would get to keep the product sent to you. Simple as that. If you're interested in participating shoot me an email, joel<at>sparkfun.com, with Sparkfun Beta tester as the subject. We can hash out the details there.
By tetsujin
JoelEB wrote:For tetsujin: Basically, we would send you a prototype product. You would play around with it and put it through the ringer. Then you would send us some feedback (within a timely manner, say 3-6 weeks), and in return you would get to keep the product sent to you. Simple as that. If you're interested in participating shoot me an email, joel<at>sparkfun.com, with Sparkfun Beta tester as the subject. We can hash out the details there.
Sounds fun, unfortunately I don't have time to bang on a new product right now...

So is this an ARM-based board, Due-compatible? It's pretty cool that Arduino is finally going that route...