SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By MGP
OK, here's the results of my latest build with AMT SynTECH paste from a 250 gm. jar.

I bought some Kahnetics 3cc, 5cc and 10cc syringes a while back and decided to fill and try pasting with them. I filled a 3cc syringe with about 1.5cc of paste, mixing the paste in the jar and carefully "spooning" it down into the syringe tube with a small stainless steel spatula. You could use a small, clean screwdriver too I think.

I then replaced the plunger and ran a small amount of paste out the tip back into the jar until there were no air gaps in the paste. I used a 22 gauge Techon luer lock tip on the syringe for actual pasting of the board.

The board is a Litihum Ion battery charger/power management board for a portable medical device. It has 0805 chips, SC-70, SOT-23, MSSOP and QFN package devices on it. It soldered great in the Target frying pan and I had minimal cleanup. If I get a chance, I'll take some pictures and post them here...

This was the first time I had transferred paste to a syringe from a jar. It worked well and the small syringe was much easier to manually apply paste than a larger syringe as I've used in the past. The 250 gm. jars of paste are economical and I think about the right size for the amount of SMD prototype work I do -- it should go bad about the time I've used most of it up.