SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By rpbaum00
I think some new products that SparkFun should consider stocking are micro air pumps,
micro vacuum pumps and micro liquid (water) pumps. Usually these are small diaphragm pumps
driven by micro dc motors or piezoelectric elements and have small enough current draw
that they can be run off batteries. I have a couple of projects in mind in which I could use micro
air pumps and micro vacuum pumps. I have found some that fit the bill but find it impossible
to find distributors for these items. I don't want to go to the hassle of trying to buy engineering
samples directly from the manufacture as they always seem to want your first born before
they will do you the favor of selling one of their products to you.

I am including links to examples of what I hope SparkFun might consider stocking. I believe
most of these items could be purchased by SparkFun for less than $10/piece in lots of 100
although this is just a guess.
microjet
xavitech
alldoo
bartles
Parastaltic pump
KNF
Smart Products
Sensidyne

Here a examples of products that use the type of pumps I think SparkFun should stock
Electroplating Pump
Aerator

A few electrical controlled valves compatible with these pumps would be icing on the cake.

Could anyone else out there use something like these ?
By mark01970
I have been searching online for a long time hoping to locate a pump for my project. I need a VERY small pump that can feed a couple of drops at a time from a small rubber bladder type design. The pump would be activated automatically via a sensor (for liquid presence of course) but that is a whole other facet of the project. The entire project is pointless to pursue if I can not locate some form of tiny micro pump. I am talking something that is just a few mm or so on each side. At least no larger than a cm on a side max. I have found pumps that do what I need, but not in the size I am looking for. I am rambling though..

Point being.. YES, I think Sparkfun should carry more mico pumps of various types. Although, to be honest, I think Sparkfun should carry more of everything out there a person could possibly use whether dev. tools, prototyping, r/c, robotics, consumer tech, etc, etc... :)

Mark aKa BigDaddyEcig
Unexpected.Beastnode.net - My Minecraft Server
By lyndon
If you need a pump that small, you're just about in the higher volume region of microfluidics. Be prepared for sticker shock: https://www.biochemfluidics.com/cart/st ... Product=40

A lot of these tiny pumps and valves are custom made. If you really want something that small, you may have to make it yourself. In theory it shouldn't be that hard to make a tiny solenoid pump.
Some solenoid valves are also rated as precision pumps, but I haven't seen any as small as you need and the price range is outside the typical SparkFun customer's pocketbook.