SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Kurtnelle
Would it be possible to have a breakout board based on the Cirrus Logic CS5530 (http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatash ... 530_F3.pdf) so that we can have higher than 16 bit precision ADC support for our Micro controllers via the SPI bus?

This may enable us to do create a new bread of high precision servo motor's with incredibly fine step resolutions (used in nanotechnology). We might even be able to make laser range finders using any old laser pointer. Get position feedback from CNC mills ;) etc.

DigiKey runs the individual chip for around $7 US dollars so I don't think that the part would be very expensive to implement.

I'd be ok with doing the development of the board and the circuit design, however I would need guidance since I've never done such things before (I'm a software guy).

What do you guys think? Can you think of any reason to have higher than 16 bit ADC resolution support for your micro controllers?
By MichaelN
Getting more than 16 bits out of an ADC requires very careful PCB layout, power supply design etc; otherwise the signal will be swamped with noise. Not impossible, but difficult. Normally manufacturers have guidance on this, which should be followed closely.

Probably not the sort of thing you would do with a "breakout board".
By Kurtnelle
Perhaps then as a module of some sort that has the necessary components on it to make it work. A sort of EasyADC!