SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By jraskell
Instead of selling 8 separate pieces for different socket sizes (8, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, 28, and 40 pin sockets), you could just have a single snappable SIP socket part (similar to your header pin sets) that could be sold in quantity and can then be used to layout any size DIP socket arrangement. And the SIP itself is useful on it's own, for SIP components as well as smaller passive components like capacitors and/or resistors. Sure, the DIP sockets can be used for the same purpose as well, but you're carrying 8 separate items (most of which are currently low on stock), as opposed to a single item that could serve the same purpose.
I wouldn't recommend this unless the two SIPs are soldered to a board first. With wire wrapping, it is common to just use simple perf board for mounting the sockets, and they are held in place by the wrapped wire connections. If you made a socket out of two SIPs, it would tend to flex sideways, and would not be as secure as the DIP style.
Wow, I'm surprised they carry wire wrap at all. The last wire wrap board I did was over 30 years ago, when we had guns and automated systems to do it. Leave it to say wire wrap has been abandoned by the industry for a long long time and for good reasons. Just FYI these boards had 100 or more TTL ICs in mostly small DIP packages.

For quickly testing a circuit, the breadboards are better, or even what we use to call flying wire (building 3 dimensional sculptures out of through hole components).

For anything more complex, just go with a PCB, with Eagle or PCB123 and lots of options for shared board services you can trade time for cost. And you'll end up with a far more reliable device.

Just look at the cost of these sockets, and add the time to hand wrap a board, then debuging loose wraps and any signals over a few MHz can have severe ringing. So my recommendation to anyone is to AVOID wire wrap.
viskr wrote:Leave it to say wire wrap has been abandoned by the industry for a long long time and for good reasons.
Belive it or not, wire wrap is still used in military equipment. You can find it in some of the radars and self defense systems on Navy ships. Most of it stems from equipment that has been qualified and proven years and years ago and no one has been willing to spend the money to bring it up to date. When done to military specifications, it's extremely reliable. You also see Nixie Tubes, vacuum tubes, synchros, torqsyns, electric arc printers, and all sorts of other antediluvian technology.

-Bill