SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By dequo
simple, a 5v signal wire that can control a power socket that goes in between the wall socket and the appliance, no messing around with relays. if this is already out there please link me
By Valen
dequo wrote:simple, a 5v signal wire that can control a power socket that goes in between the wall socket and the appliance, no messing around with relays. if this is already out there please link me
There won't be any way withouth some form of relay. You should use one in one way or another: opto-, magneto-mechanical, or solidstate. Trying to conduct mains through a transistor or MOSFET connected to the 5 volt circuit is asking for trouble.
By dequo
valen i just meant to messing with relays yourself, a unit ready to go like n1ist posted. now we just need that in 240V...
By UNTEngineer
It has to be either a solid state MOSFET relay or a mechanical relay. I'm already working on various designs to incorporate both types of relays for use with the Arduino UNO, the Teensy and for standalone use.
By erc
you wouldnt use a mosfet for switching line voltage AC power. You would use a thyristor based solid state relay. If turning things on and off you would use the zero crossing variety. If you are using it to dim an incandescent lamp or vary the output of a heater you would use the non-zero crossing variety. Alternately you can use the proper optocoupler (such as MOC30XX series) and a back to back pair of SCRs or a Triac. In either case make sure the required heat dissipation is considered as well as the requisite safety practices involved when working with line voltage AC power.