SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By qbgroup
Hi everyone. Often when I breadboard I have switches and other controls that I need to use. I am looking for a mounting method that is more physically secure than allowing the control to dangle from the breadboard by the wires connecting the control to the breadboard. Ideally I would like to use metal angle brackets I can fasten to a piece of wood, attach the switch, pot, pilot light, to the angle bracket. With a small soldered or solderless breadboard attached to the wood I can add the button debounce circuit, etc. Connection to the switch breadboard to the Arduino (or any other project) can use a technology similar to the Patch Shield http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=256 from Adafruit.

All of this is straight forward - except finding the angle brackets or faceplate. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Are you in the US? Home Depot or the local hardware store usually has cheap aluminum extrusion in angle or channel forms. Easy to cut with a handsaw and you can drill it to add screw mounting holes.

When I still used breadboards, I'd usually take a small piece of bare PCB or metal sheet, drill it for connectors or switches and mount it parallel to the breadboard using long standoffs.

[edit]
I've wondered about this for a while: is there a market for this kind of service?
Say for a $20 setup fee and cost of materials + shipping, would you guys pay to have a faceplate with custom hole drilling, rectangular cutouts, etc. made?

The model I'm thinking of is someone who wants to modify a small number of off the shelf enclosures (too small to have the manufacturer do it), or needs to get an instrument panel made, but doesn't have the tools or time to do so?

I know eMachineShop and the like do this, but I'm thinking a simpler, lower cost service that only works with aluminum or plastic, flat materials, simple shapes etc. I used to know sites where you could get this done, but they all seem to have dried up (maybe that's a reason I shouldn't do it, LOL).
Hi Lyndon and Mike,
Thanks for your replies. The Home Depot route was my thought too. My motivation is trying to avoid repurchasing tools I once had like chassis punches, nibblers, good files, and a way to carefully and accurately cut and bend the metal panel. I don't mind spending the money (again) if I thought I would use the tools more than once!

Lyndon, your thoughts of a modest setup fee plus the cost of materials and shipping is very attractive, and you are likely able to find customers if there is a way you can 'advertise' on sites like SparkFun and Adafruit, etc. I just don't know know if you would ever make any money. Taking into account the cost of replacing expendables such as drill bits , punches, nibblers, files suggest you would likely have to reconsider the thought of such a modest set up fee. And we are not even considering the cost of your time and incidentals.

Mike - Front Panel Express looks great - and it looks like they deliver really professional results. For a one-time gift to my self I might go this route. Otherwise I might buy the largest plastic enclosure with metal face plate and go the DIY route.

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Hank