SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By roberteunice
Check out this tiny (21.5mm x 21.5mm) direct mount 16-channel GPS with integrated antenna:

Furuno GH-80 16-Channel GPS
http://www.furunogps.com/scripts/gh80.html

There's also a version with a cable connector:

I've spotted prices in the $120 retail range, so it looks to be a great deal for the size. Any thoughts?
By roach
Gee, you and kinema should gang together and start your own forum spamming company. Seriously, I can't get enough of brand-new members advertising products from competing sites in their first post.
By NleahciM
looks good - but one major problem that I see: it doesn't appear to be sirf iii based. Size is pretty sweet - but at that cost, I'd expect a better chipset.
By roberteunice
roach wrote:Gee, you and kinema should gang together and start your own forum spamming company. Seriously, I can't get enough of brand-new members advertising products from competing sites in their first post.
Am I not allowed to ask questions related to this GPS module without being flamed in the first reply? Advertising products in a "New Product Ideas" forum? From competing sites (does SFE manufacture GPS modules)? My bad... :roll:

I was under the impression that the whole point of this forum was to ask questions and get feedback on related, uncarried products. I found a different product, I wanted feedback. Positive, helpful feedback (thank you NleahciM).

I would appreciate it if anyone would perhaps enlighten me as to how the Sirf III GPS modules compare to this module in practical use. This particular module has a distinct size advantage, which may or may not be of interest to certain SFE customers. It is of interest to me. I'm not versed in the embedded GPS field, so any comparisons, advantages / disadvantages, etc. would be very helpful.

Thank you.
By sparky
I don't mind! If fact, many customers have turned us on to carrying many products that have done very well for us. I kind of mind links to external carts/store fronts when we carry something on the SFE site that is cheaper, better, smaller, etc. This was the case with a USB serial IC breakout board a long time ago - no worries in this case.

Just so you know - I just like to call these companies up and see what's new. They're supposed to call me back, that sometimes doesn't happen, but like I said, this is how the SiRF III USGlobalSat relationship started... Good things come from informed customers - thanks for bringing these GPS units to our attention!

-Nathan
By sparky
Well this happens every so often. Furuno really doesn't want to play - they don't want to sell single units, they only want to talk about volume customers. So be it.

If you do get a unit from Furuno, please let us know how it performed.

-Nathan
By roach
roberteunice wrote:Am I not allowed to ask questions related to this GPS module without being flamed in the first reply? Advertising products in a "New Product Ideas" forum? From competing sites (does SFE manufacture GPS modules)? My bad... :roll:

I was under the impression that the whole point of this forum was to ask questions and get feedback on related, uncarried products. I found a different product, I wanted feedback. Positive, helpful feedback (thank you NleahciM).
You're right, of course. *grumble* Don't know what got into me that night. I think I missed my nap-time. If it's any consolation, you were not the only victim of my crankiness.

I apologize :oops: