SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By cpolley
Hi guys,

One question that seems to keep coming up with hobby SMD work is "how do you store/organize your components?".

For the last year I've been using 4x4 IC trays ("wafflepacks") from Entegris. The size of each slot is perfect for holding a TQFP IC or say ~50 0805 resistors or capacitors. So I just have one of these trays with printed labels to hold all my caps, another two to hold all my resistors, a couple for ICs. It's a very compact and convenient solution. They have sealing lids and clamps, so even if you throw these things across the room all the parts stay in place. The material is conductive polycarbonate, so no static issues.

Minimum order quantity from Entegris is 200, so it's not something you would buy as an individual but I think it would work well for Sparkfun to resell and I definitely think there's demand for something like this. Not sure on pricing per unit. Have a look, see what you think.

http://www.devicecare.com/Default.asp?Page=BareDieHome

Cheers,
Craig
By itikhonov
SMDs are sold on a piece of tape so i just have tapes marked and toss them all into single box.