SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By gonzodada
Hi

I've recently had trouble finding multi-coloured ribbon cable (in reasonable lengths anyway). Why do I want multi-coloured ribbon cable? Because it looks pretty of course!

Does it matter? Well yes I think it does. If SparkFun is about blurring the boundaries between artists and engineers, which I think it is, then how things look is potentially as important as how things work - or at least a very close second (for some of us anyway, don't worry projects are allowed to be ugly too if that's your thing!)

Similarly I've been modding an old Atari VCS 2600 case to house an Atari punk console project. Can I find fixtures and fittings in keeping with the retro look and feel of the VCS? No not really but more importantly I'm struck by how limited the choices are when it comes to things like knobs and switches.

I'm surprised. If anything the controls of the electronic devices we interact with should be the most beautiful, ergonomic and tactile components of all.

Look at this fella

I admit it has a certain charm by virtue of it's simplicity but it's not terribly exciting is it?

Thoughts? Useful links?

http://www.reallycoolfixturesandfittings.com

is not one :)