SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Kuroi Kenjin
Microchip came out with not too long ago a really small Ethernet controller. The ENC28J60, is a 28pin ethernet interface controller and uses SPI. It implements the PHY and MAC layers. After reading the datasheet (found on their site), it's actually doesn't seem that hard to work with, and I have yet to see one that doesn't require an ISA or PCI bus and under 60 or so pins. The only external parts this requires is an isolation thransformer/module a few 50ohm 1% resistors, LEDs (LED B also configures full/half duplex operation according to pull up or pull down), and I think a ferrite bead. If Sparkfun could get a few of these and find the other parts, they could make a nice breakout board for this little guy. This part is a 3.3V part. Even supplying the transformer/module for this type of part would also be a good idea, too.
By Kuroi Kenjin
Sweet! I wish I knew that before I posted then... oh well, it'll just be a little advertising.
By W6EZY
powool wrote:http://www.olimex.com/dev/enc28j60-h.html

sounds like they're on it!

Nice chip...
I just ordered an OLIMEX LPC2148 from SFE 8) . This will be my first piece of ARM hardware. Will I be able to wire the new Ethernet header board up to this using the prototyping area (or other means)?

(Sorry if this is a lame question, I'm still catching up on how to do things electronics-wise :oops: )
By Kuroi Kenjin
As long as you have SPI, 2 interrupt pins, 3.3V power available (might need a regulator), and a way to output 3.3V signals while being able to use 3.3V input signals, then yup. I don't know ARM, so far I only do PICs, so I don't know what the ARM can do. I looks like you should be able to use it in some way at least. I also don't have a good idea of what this'll look like... as you see from powool's like, the picture isn't that clear and it's still under development.
By Kuroi Kenjin
What the? Last I saw that website, the Frame Thrower used some other chip. I didn't think the ENC28J60 was available for that long. (Well actualy I got a few samples a few months ago.... took about 1 month before the sample order was filled). And at a nice price too. I think Olimex is gonna be about $5 cheaper, but when I get some money (need job), I'll get the cheaper or better one, of course. Thanks for the info.

(I got the samples, but didn't know what I was gonna do about the isolation transformer/module.... otherwise I'd have gotten surface mount.)
By Caffeine
I find Lantronix XPort and WiPort devices easy to work with...
By konnichiwa
Caffeine wrote:I find Lantronix XPort and WiPort devices easy to work with...
Wow, it would be great if Spark Fun could stock those devices!! especially the WiPort.
By Philba
if sparky doesn't want to carry the xport, you can pick one up at mouser for about $50. they also carry the wiport.

be forewarned, the xport pulls upwards of 260 mA at 3.3V. power to this thing is a bit tricky - either a low dropout linear with Vin close to the minimum, smps or a DC-DC converter.

I tried a linear with 6V input and it totally cooked at about .7W. Even with a heatsink, it was too hot to touch. It was running about 75C which is still within spec but much too hot for my comfort. I used a DC-DC converter and it ran cooler but it wasn't cheap. Of course, neither was the the xport.