SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By MicroMinded
I recently discovered the Epson series of Intel 80 parallel LCD controllers, specifically this guy. It is an Intel 80 remote frame buffer with 768kb internal SRAM and they even have a howto attach it to the sharp PSP LCD's

I am going to try and whip up a board with this controller on it as well as voltage regulators, touch screen controller, 5V to 3.3V level shifters, and backlight control and it should cost around $60 for a one off but this controller drops down to <$7 when you buy >700 at a time. Does the PSP LCD's sell enough to justify a backpack?

I for one am going to make on as I would like a nice vibrant touch screen on my machine controller, anybody else think its a good idea?

EDIT: Same controller can handle the 7in 800x480 LCD from thai easy elec but not in double buffering mode.
By SeniorEE
Not the best show of support... (and "taming" the PLL of the Epson is a challenge)

This "has" been done - although not with this same Sharp TFT. A good quality, 4.3" TFT with
"built-in" 8 or 16 bit parallel interface can sell for "less" than the 4.3" TFT "alone" - here...

A "stable" of such TFTs exist - 3.5, 4.3, 5.7 and 7.0" - each with parallel controller "built-in"
and priced competitively...
By MicroMinded
I have yet to find any LCD's greater than 3.2in with a parallel 8/16bit interface which is why I suggested this project. If you know of any place that sells 4.3, 5.7 and 7.0in LCD's with on board controllers you mind posting some links?
This is the closest I have found to a "cheap" TFT and at $60 with a $15 controler, $8 for conector and flex cable and $10 for a PCB thats a lot of screen for $100
By SeniorEE
Let's see if there's any more interest - my firm is building for a re-order and maybe able to accommodate
others here... Trying to save you the time/effort of "re-inventing the wheel."

As a "ballpark" suspect that we could provide the 4.3" with on-board parallel controller for < $70, the 3.5" w parallel controller for < $50. (@ Q=1, volume discounts available)