SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By QTAR
Hi all,

I would like to see more of the Sharp Infrared Proximity Sensors on SFE. I'm not sure what the popularity of the 80 cm range IR sensor has been like but I know I would make use of the GP2Y0A02YK with 150 cm maximum range.

Also, the new 25 deg wide-angle IR sensors might be handy to some:
GP2Y3A001K0F 4 to 30 cm
GP2Y3A002K0F 20 to 150 cm
GP2Y3A003K0F 40 to 300 cm

These have just recently come on Digi-Key for $52.50, which I'm sure is over priced.

Here is the Sharp Optoelectronics URL, which has dodgy datasheet, with no product weight specified. If anyone finds out the weight of GP2Y3A003K0F, please let me know.

http://www.sharpsma.com/productgroup.ph ... GroupID=39

Cheers,
Josh :)
By johndoe1962
I am new at this and I'd ask someone to help me with advice. I applied as recruiter manager at JobQueen, they promise to pay $87,000.00/year. I would like to know if they are for real and if they are how can I get quality sales reps in China. I didn't list the domain because promoting something is forbiden in most forums. So if you want to help me out please contact me direct at my email:
kimwongshu@yahoo.com
By Philba
wierd post there johndoe... are you spamming for recruiting leads, perhaps??

$50+ for one of those is nutz. The older ones cost a LOT less, even with DigiPrices. I have several sumobots with them and they work ok but you've got to watch their placement (avoid ground bounce) and ground the case (yes, it's plastic but conductive).

I'd guess that the weight is less than an ounce. they look just like the earlier versions.

Phil
By SOI_Sentinel
The reason for the cost is that the standard units are single LED/Sensor pairings with something like a 5 degree beam. They set up a phased LED array inside the $50 ones to get a user-steerable 25 degree fan for detection. It also reacts about twice as fast.
By Philba
I guess i don't see how that merits a $50 price tag. Even at $20 in high volume that is a huge BOM hit. at 50 it's totally out of the question for any robot I'd build. that's more than the cost of the rest of the electronics. I could use 10 of the older ones and still come out way ahead.
By SOI_Sentinel
10 of the older ones? You buy enough to get the suppliers to drop their price by 50-60%?

The drive electronics don't appear to add up enough to justify a $12 to $50 price hike, true. Maybe their volume suppliers wanted a steerable sensor fan in the same footprint and were willing to pay the price? I don't know of any OEM hardware that uses this sensor (well, there may be a few distance measurement sensors in the industrial world, but I don't know, and those usually have a really hefty price premium anyway).

In industrial sensors such a price hike isn't unreasonable. However, I too would probably stay away from it unless I needed a forward distance fan and couldn't fit in a standard sensor and servo or a couple of sensors.
By Philba
ok, ok, you are right. 8.25 q/1 from junun for the 12 but I don't need 10. 4 or 5 would probably good enough. I don't think this changes the fundamental issue about the the new sensor price.

How accurate are the new ones? the old ones are just not that accurate and generate a lot of noise. I recall that I had to use a 33uF cap on the Vcc line to handle the device's transients and probably should have gone higher. I used a low pass filter and it still dumped a lot of trash on the signal line. Looking at the signal out on the scope was very instructive. Asking around in robotics circles, the most accurate I heard people say they got was a few CMs which is ok but not great.