SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By saccade
Here's a problem I suspect many gadget makers face...we create a cool new electronic gizmo, only to be told by the other resident(s) of the household: "You are not putting that...that..thing on the nightstand / bookshelf / kitchen counter / etc."

DigiKey, Jameco, etc. are full of bland plastic enclosures, but that's not what we need. We need some stuff that's stylish and cool. Think wood trim. Think brushed aluminum. Think something from Bang & Olufsen, Apple, Porche, etc.

There might be an opportunity to tie in with the online CAM guys (Shapeways, FrontPanelExpress, etc.). Maybe do some standard parts - nice aluminum or finished wood panels you can mix 'n match with panels you get made by the CAM guys. Maybe come up with standard bezels (or at least CAD templates) for your user-facing components like buttons, knobs and displays.

If I want cheap plastic I can Dremel, I know where to go. I'm willing to pay serious money for something that really - as you say - lets your geek shine. $200+ is not unreasonable if it looks great and I don't need to acquire $5K in shop equipment.

I think there's a lot of room for innovation (and profit) here. It's the difference between making something that's handed down, and making something that's tossed on the way to the retirement home.

ps - Here's an example of hiring a cabinet maker do to do a nice custom finished enclosure. The lead time was nearly a year, but it came out great.
By xevilstar
I would certainly have less problems with my wife if I could find anything alike here :D

saccade wrote:Here's a problem I suspect many gadget makers face...we create a cool new electronic gizmo, only to be told by the other resident(s) of the household: "You are not putting that...that..thing on the nightstand / bookshelf / kitchen counter / etc."

DigiKey, Jameco, etc. are full of bland plastic enclosures, but that's not what we need. We need some stuff that's stylish and cool. Think wood trim. Think brushed aluminum. Think something from Bang & Olufsen, Apple, Porche, etc.

There might be an opportunity to tie in with the online CAM guys (Shapeways, FrontPanelExpress, etc.). Maybe do some standard parts - nice aluminum or finished wood panels you can mix 'n match with panels you get made by the CAM guys. Maybe come up with standard bezels (or at least CAD templates) for your user-facing components like buttons, knobs and displays.

If I want cheap plastic I can Dremel, I know where to go. I'm willing to pay serious money for something that really - as you say - lets your geek shine. $200+ is not unreasonable if it looks great and I don't need to acquire $5K in shop equipment.

I think there's a lot of room for innovation (and profit) here. It's the difference between making something that's handed down, and making something that's tossed on the way to the retirement home.

ps - Here's an example of hiring a cabinet maker do to do a nice custom finished enclosure. The lead time was nearly a year, but it came out great.
By xevilstar
but since I buy here for the sake of shipping prices would be handy to have everything from the same place
never mentioning that i can machine and make something functional myself or order something functional but sometimes
funcional != goodlooking
By noptical
Check shapeways.com
You can design your case yourself, order it and have it in ~2 weeks at your doorstep. They're also by far the cheapest. You don't need hundreds to build your design.
By saccade
sk_uk wrote:OKW do some nice enclosures:
http://okw.co.uk/
This is a nice variety of enclosures, but nothing particularly stylish or attractive. Getting something that looks nice in a living space usually requires going beyond plastic and white/black painted sheet metal.
By LadyCartoonist
Interesting. I'm a fabricator- I work in hardwoods and metals- and I bet I could think up some modular/customizable enclosure parts. Hm.
Also, I wind up trading these skills for the programming skills I lack to finish projects :P
By SFE-Robert
We are currently looking into different cases! I brought this up with the company a week or so ago and we are trying to get a few ideas. If anyone has some requirements, let's hear it!

Of course we can't satisfy everyone, but if we can get a few products that fit some needs, that would be great.
By waltr
Well I would like to see a case for the LCD displays that is deep enough to add another board behind the LCD. This way the second board could have a processor for LCD control and interface.

Maybe for the Basic 16x2 serial LCD and another for the most popular graphic LCD.
By Blackfin
waltr wrote:Well I would like to see a case for the LCD displays that is deep enough to add another board behind the LCD. This way the second board could have a processor for LCD control and interface.

Maybe for the Basic 16x2 serial LCD and another for the most popular graphic LCD.
+1 on the graphic. I'd love a source for cases similar to, say, automotive GPSs that allow for a "standard" 3.5" or 4.3" TFT LCD. The problem, I think, is that it seems like there's little standardization among graphic LCD manufacturers and not enough product lifetime to ensure an LCD will be around long enough to warrant a case devoted to it.

I bought a cheap Mio GPS:

with the intent of taking the main board of it and re-using the LCD and designing my own board for my app. Thing is, I ended up liking the damn thing and couldn't bring myself to ruin it lol... We need something like this!!