SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By mericas
I've been looking for a compact switching regulator module that doesn't require a lot of external components. I found the TI PTH08080WAH and got a sample from TI. It's about .5 x .5 square and only requires a resistor and a capacitor (with a second one optional). Unit price is about $7 but you have to buy 90 of them!
By NleahciM
mericas wrote:I've been looking for a compact switching regulator module that doesn't require a lot of external components. I found the TI PTH08080WAH and got a sample from TI. It's about .5 x .5 square and only requires a resistor and a capacitor (with a second one optional). Unit price is about $7 but you have to buy 90 of them!
It's funny that you mention this module - as I am planning on using that very module in an upcoming project. Quite a powerful little unit. Distribution is very limited with most all of TIs plug in power modules - so it'd definitely be nice if Sparkfun carried em.
By jayjay
TI usually provides free samples, upto 3 pcs usually, for more exotic DSPs and powermodules, they limit to 1 pc. For quick evaluation you could ask for a sample.

If you really need cheaper or lower qty solution, you can always build one, check out Linear Tech's product range too ;-)

Cheers
Jay
By mericas
Yes, I requested and received a sample. I want more! I could build something similar, but I'd rather buy this part of the project. Perhaps Spark Fun could put together a similar sized module.
By sparky
We've had a couple requests for DC to DC converters. Pete's go a nifty little module that should be proto'd here in a week or so, products ready in a few weeks.

-Nathan