SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By billyzelsnack
I've seen these wifi dongles for $2 at Compusa. It would be really nice and cheap if a simple interface for a microcontroller could be built with one of them.

Because they are so cheap most of the grunt work is probably done on the host, but I don't see why that grunt work could not be done with a microcontroller and some clever programming. In fact it probably would not take much clever programming because you could grab one of the linux drivers for these and just plain port it to your favorite microcontroller.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Yes you could buy a Wiport, but where is the fun in that.
By jayjay
Well essentially,all you would need to do is get the MCU to behave like a PC. I am sure you can get hold of a MCU that has USB host pheripheral and implement the driver, the Wi-Fi control stuff and of course the TCP/IP stack. All this might need decent code space and processing power, a ColdFire, ARM7/9 should be able to do it.

If these dongles already have drivers in the GPL arena, it should be possible to port it over to your MCU and get it working, I have seen similar stuff done for CF/PCMCIA based Wi-Fi adapters.

If you do emnark on the project, keep us posted.

Cheers
Jay
By billyzelsnack
I might give it a go, but not until I get more up to speed with electronics and microcontrollers. I have 20 years of programming experience, but I am a newbie when it comes to electronics.

Maybe this is a good above my head project where I can leverage that programming experience and help push my electronics experience forward.
By Philba
where did you see this $2 device? the compusa web site doesn't show it. is it one of those notorious rebate deals? do you have a product number?

Phil
By billyzelsnack
The $2 wifi adapter was from about a month back. I believe it was a rebate deal. Even if they are not $2, it is pretty easy to find one for under $10.

The basic idea is to have the cheapest possible hobby wifi to microntroller interface. Right now the cheapest I've been able to find is a ethernet board (sparkfun $35) plus a cheap wifi game adapter (buy.com $33).
By alxx
www.edtp.com make a pic and avr wifi and ethernet boards.

Basically they bitbang to a CF wifi card.

If you buy a board they provide you with full source code.
Also source comes with book

Implementing 802.11 with microcontrollers by Fred Eady
a good read.

With an avr you can saturate a 10Mbps ethernet connection
just with bitbanging (not recieving). IF you try and do anything much the max speed drops quite a bit.