SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By sylvie369
I have been looking for a couple of weeks but unable to find a source for a connector that I need. It's pretty simple, but too small for me to make by hand. One side needs to be a 5-conductor Molex "Pico" (1.25mm pitch) male connector, and the other a standard .1" spacing female header like these:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1904

The .1" side is easy - if I just had a five-conductor wire Pico cable with bare wire on the other end I think I could finish 'em off myself, though I'd prefer professionally-finished complete connects (oh, and about 12" long).

I've found the Pico connector and the crimp terminals, but a little experimentation tells me that putting 'em together is a job for someone else. Any idea where I might get something like this? Or who could make up maybe 10-20 of them at a reasonable cost?
By sylvie369
Well, thanks, but that's the side I have covered. It's the 1.25mm "Pico" connector on the other end that I'm having trouble with.
By TheDirty
Based on the link you gave, you want the female connector that the header pins plug into. The link I gave you is for 5 position female connector which is technically exactly the same, but it has pins on one side for mounting on a PC board. Instead of crimping wires, you can just solder the wires to the pins, use a bit a heat shrink tubing to hide the mess and it will look okay. Not fabulous, but passable.
By Liencouer
are you referring to connectors like these? http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =WM1723-ND

Those are fairly easy to do by hand, if you ask me. You can even do them without a crimper - snip some of the crimp-y piece and you can solder directly to it.
By TheDirty
Sorry. I'm reading it right now. I was confused by the link and thought that's what you wanted. I didn't understand that have two separate connector type all together.

I have small connectors like that as well, though I have done them with a small needle nose, it was extremely tedious. Not certain what other options you have other than getting the right crimper.
By gussy
You can buy pre-crimped PicoBlade wires at either 150mm or 300mm SKT to SKT or SKT to Free End.

Digikey and farnell have them, as well as others I'm sure.

Depends on how many you want?

Once you starting wanting a few hundred your best to either buy a crimper (ca. $500) or getting an assembly company in China to make them up for you.
By sylvie369
Liencouer - Yes, those are exactly the terminals. I've got several of them, and some of the crimp terminals themselves, and I couldn't come close to doing them. Maybe I'll have to cut off some of the stuff, and practice a bunch. They're cheap, so I don't mind killing a few dozen while I figure it out.

I'm currently not willing to buy the crimp tool because it's upwards of $250, and I just don't need that many.

I can't find anything at Digikey that looks right, but I did find some wires at Newark, and I'll give that a try. That looks like my best bet - thanks.
By sylvie369
Followup: okay, the precrimped wires from Newark worked just fine. They were pretty simple to use, once I'd squinted at them and at the Picoblade connector through a magnifying glass enough to figure 'em out.

Thanks - you just saved me quite a bit of money.
By Pulsar
Can someone follow-up with a part number or link for the pre-crimped Picoblade wires?

I looked through Digi-Key, Newark, and Mouser, but I can't seem to find them. I too would love to get some.

The only ones I found were from this random robotics company in Switzerland and them seem to charge a ton for shipping:
https://www.jobyrobotics.com/product.php?id_product=34

If I could get them from Newark instead, that'd be a lot easier.