SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Isferos
Yea....customs.....could be difficult. Anyway, about displays. I have been trying to source the necessary parts for my project and the most difficult part to source has to be displays. (It seems so expensive and misunderstanding everywhere). Once I was travelling in mainland china(I live in South Asia) and I was in this electronic supermarketplace (huge!!), I was lucky enough to have found a sample distrubutor of Innolux displays. So I went ahead and ask for pricing....3.5" 480X234 colour TFT LCD display cost only YMB 230 (about USD 30) and sold in units of one! The digital ones are YMB 330(about $ 45) and you can take the controller board with you. They have other sizes too (from 1") That shop was demostrating the LCD with a chinese film when I was there, it plays like a normal DVD player screen (clear and no glitches)

There is one downfall and you guys are not going to like it, the display has no controller and requires a 350 ns max clock on three lines each delay a bit from the last, a 15V line, a -10 V line turning on and off. I m not sure how I will drive it yet but I think the Xilinx CPLD with some Stepup chips + fast settling DACs + 512K SRAM could be a solution. The panel I ve got is an analog one with the max colour depth not specified in the datasheet, but if I use a 24bpp config, each image is going to be about 333KB and average atmel megas might not be able to handle 333KB *28 per second. that's 9.1 MB of visual information /s in active cases such as movies.

Anyway, I just though that spark fun, if able to resolve the customs problem, might want to consider the Innolux displays along with CPLD controllers. It would be so cool if one day SFE provides a 3.5" LCD TFT Full colour + controller product and contruction tutorial! And Since I am going to attempt controlling that panel, I wouldn't mind(if I make it to the end:)) provide the CPLD configs and circuit designs. Innolux looks to be a Taiwanese company.

Jacky