SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By mericas
I'd like an extra cable for the EM406 GPS, perhaps a longer one. I'd also like to know what board connector I can use for that.

Thanks!
By sparky
We've contacted our supplier. We be able to get them in a few weeks.

-Nathan
By mericas
That's Great! I already spliced the provided cable into an existing project (a GPS tracker for a model rocket). The module powered up and acquired track very quickly, INDOORS! It got 5 satellites. Looking forward to playing with it some more. Mounting is going to be a challenge since there are no holes. I'm thinking 3M 2sided adhesive tape to the PCB.
By sparky
Do they make double stick tape in rocket grades? ;)

Thanks for the feedback. 5 indoors is pretty impressive.
By morgancc
My EM-406 just showed up today, and I am in a simliar situation...

Are you going to be able to get the connector as well?

Will you post when they are available, please.
By mericas
The connectors (board and wire) look like molex connectors, perhaps 1mm pitch? I actually had a few pins pull out of the wire connector and was able to push them back in. That tells me that custom wires could be made IF you have the fancy molex crimping tool.
By morgancc
It is a 1.0mm pitch connector.

I received an email with spec sheet for the board connector from USGlobalSat. The managing director informed me that the connector is a proprietary connector though and did not know of a cross reference.

The connector is made by Kingfont Precision Industrial Co, LTD. in China. It appears their part number series is MPHTJ-1XXT1W000. I could not locate it on their website. www.kingfont.com
By NleahciM
OK so I've got a fairly simple question regarding the cable that comes with the EM-406 - is it reversed or straight? In other words - is the pinout shown in the EM-406 datasheet the same for both the EM-406 module and for a PCB with the EM-406 cable connected to it, or should the pinout be reversed?

Also - from what I can tell from the EM-406 datasheet it gives a serial output with low 0 and high 2.85V. Is this correct?

Thanks.
By mericas
I've chopped up my wire already, but I'm pretty sure it was straight through. If it helps, wires 1-5 are black. wire 6 in unused. Looking at the GPS, with the PCB down, pin 1 is on the right.

The serial output is ttl level, the data sheet says 0-2.8v. I have it feeding a ttl input on a transmitter and it works great.
By thomasb
The cable is wired pin-1 to pin-1. That is to say, the two ends are 180 degrees flipped. But little good this will do you since you will have to chop it in two and adapt it to your project since the mating connector is not distributed in the USA. Not even by US Global, the mfg of the module.

The serial output is 0-2.8V. This level may be too low to *reliably* drive some 5V TTL devices. The serial input to a typical PIC will need a 3V-to-5V buffer if the PIC is powered by 5V. I learned the hard way on that. :)

From what I was told by USGlobal, the EM406's serial command Input (pin-3) is 5V tolerant. There is nothing about this in the manual (it states 0V-2.85V TLL). I have been using 5V TTL level RS232 and have not harmed the module, so fingers are crossed that the info is correct.

I am interested in hearing from other EM406 users. Although it has incredible sensitivity and can quickly obtain satellites locks (even indoors while covered by a metal pie plate!!), I am disappointed in its overall performance.

The data is very unreliable, especially when stationary. For example, while sitting still it will usually report that it is moving at 3-5 knots, course will bounce in every direction, and the like. And for some reason, traveling directly west sometimes gives inaccurate course data, but the other compass points are fine. This is with 10 satellites in view and a HDOP under 1. WAAS on or off does not change this either.