SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By radbrad
http://www.reprap.org

Seems like something SparkFun should be involved with! I know I've seen this around on SparkFun a little bit before, but it would be great if SparkFun started carrying parts for it.

Basically, it's a self-producing 3D printer. It uses Arduino and other electronic parts. I'm looking at making one, and it'd be great if Spark Fun could provide at least the bare circuit boards!

They're coming out with version 2 (codenamed "Mendel") that is more portable and has fewer parts.
By sbever
I agree- this seems like a natural for SFE, at least in terms of the electronic assemblies.
By RoHS
...yep
By keen101
heck yeah!

i am planning to get supplies eventually for one, but would be awesome to get them from a local colorado supplier!

I think a McWire Cartesan kit might be the cheapest to sell. It's not a full reprap, but it's still a very useful design. http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/McWire_ ... an_Bot_1_2
Last edited by keen101 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BretMattingly
I, err, 4th this?
By LilSpark
Sorry I'm a little behind, but I wanted to chime in and literally ask "a 3D printer?" I've never heard of such a thing! How does such a device work? Is there a software driver that connects programs like Maya and the hardware? Also, how does it print off? Paper, plastic, what? I'm interested! Thanks, everybody! =)
By skimask
LilSpark wrote:Sorry I'm a little behind, but I wanted to chime in and literally ask "a 3D printer?" I've never heard of such a thing! How does such a device work? Is there a software driver that connects programs like Maya and the hardware? Also, how does it print off? Paper, plastic, what? I'm interested! Thanks, everybody! =)
G O O G L E
3 D P R I N T E R
By MonkeyKnight
To be completely honest, I am stunned that SFE dosent have something to do with this by now. It is, after all all open source.

We have a 3d printer at work, it's pretty awesome. I always wanted to build a RepRap for home, but am a little gun-shy.

Sparkfun could sell it a couple different ways:

- Just the PCBs.
- Complete electronics.
- Complete hardware.
- Complete hardware, minus the printable stuff. (In case you have a buddy to print off the other parts)
- 100% complete kit. (I'd buy this, for the right price)
- Just the printable parts (In case you have everything but the buddy to print parts)
- An only hardware kit.

I can see that deciding which one to carry would be a difficult decision. (Huxley, Mendel or Prusa) I am a fan of Mendel, and hopefully soon Huxley - but only after the docs are a little more solidified.

Whatever SFE decides to sell on this (if any), I know it would be a hit.

I can't wait!