SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By tpicker1
Nathan,

I just wanted to say that I love the 3-Axis Serial accelerometer I purchased, however of all of the accelerometers I've purchased and worked with, I would have to say the FreeScale is the most unstable and has the least resolution. Athough the fact that it is 3-axis' and has the sleep mode makes it nice.

Is it possible for you guys to look at the MEMSIC dual axis accelerometers for future products and offer a serial version of it. In my experience, it is by far the most sensitive and stable of all I've used. It is virtually industrutive to shock damage as well. They have less than 1 mg resolution and 50,000 g shock survival rating (that's like being shot out of a canon).

Thanks, ...Tim
By sparky
Thanks for the feedback! We've stayed away from Memsic because we felt the analog cousins were better with more features and greater range. The new ADXL32x line has a 10,000g survival which is also nearly indestructable. I'll take a second look at the Memsic stuff.

-Nathan
By leon_heller
tpicker1 wrote:Nathan,

I just wanted to say that I love the 3-Axis Serial accelerometer I purchased, however of all of the accelerometers I've purchased and worked with, I would have to say the FreeScale is the most unstable and has the least resolution. Athough the fact that it is 3-axis' and has the sleep mode makes it nice.
I'm using the SF MMA7260Q breakout board with an MSP430F1232, which has a 10-bit ADC, transmitting data to the PC via the UART. I find it very stable.

Leon
By leon_heller
leon_heller wrote:
tpicker1 wrote:Nathan,

I'm using the SF MMA7260Q breakout board with an MSP430F1232, which has a 10-bit ADC, transmitting data to the PC via the UART. I find it very stable.

Leon
Sorry, I was mistaken, it actually isn't very stable. It's definitely not the MSP430 ADC, that is very stable with input from a pot. It looks as though I am going to have some clever software to 'denoise' it.

Leon