SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By BernardOfCa
One thing that seems to be missing in the Electronic DIY community are LCD-ready enclosures. The most common LCD seems to be the 16x2. The problem to solve is to cleanly package my prototypes.

There are many companies that would customize existing enclosures but doing so for 1 or 2 units is too costly. Is this something that SFE would consider?

I think that a box with 2 buttons on either side of the LCD would cover many needs...

It could be offered in 2 or 3 sizes...
By leon_heller
LCDs aren't standardised.

Leon
By miamicanes
A better solution (since LCDs aren't standardized) might be for SFE to carry a selection of LCDs with big, beefy bezels that attach from above. That way, even if the cut looks terrible, nobody will know because it will be completely hidden by the bezel.

Radio Shack is pretty sad nowadays, but their recent-vintage buttons and switches are one of the few things they get right:

ImageImage Image

IMHO, big bezels, with lots of positioning leeway to hide crooked cuts and slightly off-center holes are a hobbyist's best friend :-)
By Blackfin
I agree: It's a bummer there isn't standardization and a good selection of usable enclosures for use with character and graphic LCDs.

As for covering up sloppy, home-spun panel cutouts for LCDs, what about overlays? Does anyone know of a course for "generic" overlays with transparent windows for LCDs that could be used to not only cover up rough edges but could also serve to add aesthetic appeal, protect the LCD and help protect against ingress of dust and liquid?
By FartingMonkey92
Blackfin wrote:As for covering up sloppy, home-spun panel cutouts for LCDs, what about overlays? Does anyone know of a course for "generic" overlays with transparent windows for LCDs that could be used to not only cover up rough edges but could also serve to add aesthetic appeal, protect the LCD and help protect against ingress of dust and liquid?
Also known as an "escutcheon". :wink:
By bungalow_steve
Product design is largely ignored by hobbyist shops, for whatever reason.
By lyndon
You can always make your own with clear polycarbonate film and an injet printer.
Blackfin wrote:I agree: It's a bummer there isn't standardization and a good selection of usable enclosures for use with character and graphic LCDs.

As for covering up sloppy, home-spun panel cutouts for LCDs, what about overlays? Does anyone know of a course for "generic" overlays with transparent windows for LCDs that could be used to not only cover up rough edges but could also serve to add aesthetic appeal, protect the LCD and help protect against ingress of dust and liquid?
By wholder
BernardOfCa wrote:One thing that seems to be missing in the Electronic DIY community are LCD-ready enclosures.
I agree, but the solution I would like would be a small enclosure with LCD and some basic entry/navigation buttons plus an embedded Arduino. I've made numerous projects based on the Arduino, such as a timecode reader, LANC logger, etc. that I'd like to package up in a more elegant way.

Ideally, I'd like something with a built in battery box to power it (2 AAs with a 5V switching boost converter would seem perfect), some amount of prototyping area to wire up any custom interfaces and room on one end of the box to install any extra connectors, or switches the design might need.

The basic box should provide an LCD (16x2 is fine for me, but some might prefer 16x4), perhaps a side mounted up/down/select switch, such as this one http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8236 to navigate the LCD interface, power switch, and a connection point for the Arduino programming interface (probably internal.) Bonus points for a version that had a built in wireless option, such as the Nordic, or XBee devices.

Of course, it'd be great if the board layout was also open sourced so I could make a custom variation via batchpcb. I currently have about a dozen, or so projects of mine that I'd like to package up this way.

Wayne
By BernardOfCa
All: thanks for your comments. Obviously a one size fits all is not going to happen but a "cheap" service such as batchpcb might solve 90% of the situations. The issue seems to be that unlike batchpcb, dealing with enclosures would require manual handling which translates into cost.

Regarding making front panels for LCD see this link: http://www.aade.com/sexypnls.htm
By lyndon
Yes, I've seen that page before; that was the kind of thing I was suggesting.
You can also use Avery matte transparent film for panels. I've seen some very nice work done with them using a color printer.

Have you looked at these: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... cd%20bezel

I used them before with red lenses for LEDs and they look really nice. You're not going to find anything cheaper!

-lyndon
BernardOfCa wrote:All: thanks for your comments. Obviously a one size fits all is not going to happen but a "cheap" service such as batchpcb might solve 90% of the situations. The issue seems to be that unlike batchpcb, dealing with enclosures would require manual handling which translates into cost.

Regarding making front panels for LCD see this link: http://www.aade.com/sexypnls.htm
By mcuaust
BernardOfCa wrote:One thing that seems to be missing in the Electronic DIY community are LCD-ready enclosures. The most common LCD seems to be the 16x2. The problem to solve is to cleanly package my prototypes.
Blackfin wrote:IDoes anyone know of a course for "generic" overlays with transparent windows for LCDs that could be used to not only cover up rough edges but could also serve to add aesthetic appeal, protect the LCD and help protect against ingress of dust and liquid?
These could be achieved by a bezel/overlay that would cover up any 'sins'. Matrix Orbital sell this mounting kit: http://www.matrixorbital.com/mk2021bk-b ... -1066.html
It includes "Self-adhesive overlay, adhesive cut and drill guide, (2) 56 x ¾" flat head machine screws, (2) 56 machine screw nuts, 3/8" nylon spacers, (2) 56 nylon washers."
ie. basically everything!

Only problem is it only suits 20x4 displays - damn. If SFE could source something similar to suit their 16x2 displays I would be a happy man.
leon_heller wrote:LCDs aren't standardised.
However SFE could 'standardise' on the LCD sizes they sell.
By mowcius
If anyone is still reading this, I am currently in the process of sorting out my store for this kind of stuff.

My blog is probably the best to visit: http://www.duinoaday.wordpress.com
You can visit my store if you want to (and contact me through the contact page - or use PM etc): http://www.duinoaday.co.uk/store.html (Currently down for modifications 13/5/2010)

As per comments on this page, I will be doing a standard black bezel with a clear overlay to stop dirt etc from getting to the LCD.

Any more comments or suggestions, go ahead!

Mowcius
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.