SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By krognes
Hi folks,

New guy on the block (in Oslo Norway, to be slightly more precise), have followed with interest your discussion on the SIRF III modules and capabilities. Very interesting!

But I hope you guys can take it a step further. When you get into phase correlation stuff, you can also set up 3 GPS receivers on a platform, and measure the attitude.

Yes, yes, we do that already with tilt sensors - or do we really? If you put your model airplane through a perfect turn, you correlate the bank to the turn, and your perceived gravity vector still goes straight through the floor. There goes the otherwise so important tilt compensation for your compass...

Then you would need gyros and dead reckoning to warn you when your tilt reading is not true. But gyros have no "natural zero", they drift, and are (most low cost units anyway) easily thrown off by vibration and jerks - you never know when to re-zero your tilt calculations.

Enter the GPS attitude correction data from a triangle of GPS antennas with a baseline of approximately 50 cm to 150 cm. Some current modules can do it, but you are set back some 15000 dollars for the dev-kit, which is the only way to get the API spec so you can start writing custom software and access information that I currently know far too little about... There's some heavy duty mathematics to be done here also...

Since you SparkFun guys have already started making IMUs, this should be one really saucy bite for you and the enthusiast crowd on this forum. And while you're at it, why not program the stuff to give both position and attitude at 10Hz (minimum)? I sincerely hope there are others out there also waiting for this kind of capability?

Best regards
Terje
By sparky
:shock: This is a tall order. I'll see what I can bribe our engs into taking on.

-Nathan
By Pete-O
I suspect you've hit upon the reason that they get $15K for the dev kit. It would be a fun project, but I'd pretty much have to dedicate my life to it for a long time to make it happen.

But you know. It's only money.

Pete
By donblake
Pete-O wrote:But you know. It's only money.
I use to joke when a customer asked for additional capabilities: "just send time and money".

Don